Chapter 23- Purple Flowers

Dream yelled Tommy's name and rushed down the hill, but I was frozen in place. I... what did I just witness? I watched as Dream was noticed by the gunmen, and how they turned on him. I saw him put his hands up and slowly inch towards Tommy's body.

Finally, I was able to move. I followed Dream's path down the hill and right into the conflict.

"He's just a kid!" I heard.

"What the hell just happened?" I demanded, finding my voice. One of the gunmen turned to me, pointing his weapon at my head.

"It's none of your concern," he said. I decided to pull rank in order to get some answers.

"No, it definitely is my concern. I'm not asking as some chick, I'm asking as a Second."

"We were following orders from the Boss," one of the other guys said. Dream perked up at his words.

"Boss ordered this?" he whispered.

"I'd suggest you two go back inside." I sighed.

"Where are you putting his body?"

"What?"

"I said, where are you putting his body? It's a simple question."

"There's a river about half a mile North." I snorted.

"You're not throwing his body into the fucking river." I started walking towards Tommy and Dream. "You three can go now. And tell Boss I want a word with her."

"You can't-" I glared at the man as hard as I could, and he fell silent. "Yes, ma'am." All three of them trudged back inside, and I returned my attention to the boys.

"Oh god," I whispered under my breath.

The hole in Tommy's head was dripping blood down his forehead and onto the asphalt, staining it red. With hair matted to the side and his red power ranger costume still on, he looked... well, he looked like a kid. His bright blue eyes were still open.

Dream was kneeling next to him, just staring. I tentatively put a hand on his shoulder, and I felt him relax under the touch.

"What are we gonna tell Phil?" he asked.

"I'm... not sure." Dream sniffled, so I sat down cross legged next to him. We were sitting in the middle of an empty lot with one street light above us. The only noise was the soft hum of electricity all around us.

"I didn't really know him that well," he began, "I just, kind of, looked out for him. I mean, I've known the kid all his life." I just watched as Dream reached over and closed Tommy's eyes. "He's just a kid."

"Do you want to bury him?" I asked, rubbing Dream's back. He thought for a moment, then took a deep breath.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think he would want his friends there. He seems like that kind of guy."

"Alright, I'll go tell everyone. Do you want to stay here?" Dream nodded. I stood up and began making my way back to the hill when Dream stopped me.

"Get Techno and Wilbur too. And Phil's whole squad. They were closest to him."

"Got it."

I started running as soon as the door to the roof slammed shut behind me. The first person I could think of that would know where Techno would be was Alyssa, so I ran back into the training room.

The party was still raging, people dancing everywhere, not a care in the world. It was hard to believe that a kid was dead just outside these walls. Alyssa was actually dancing with a bunch of boys that I didn't recognize, but I marched straight up to her.