●THIRTY - ONE●

|Lyla|

“I don’t know what’s going on with you but the world still keeps moving, Lyla” I heard my mom as she picked up the discarded tissues on the floor before moving out as I ignored her like I had for the past week.

It had been almost a week since I last saw Randy and everything took a twisted turn. I had been avoiding him in hopes that he would just give me space but I should have known he wouldn’t.

After it happened, I hadn’t even been focused on the pain or having bruises draped over my skin but the fact that Randy would possibly see it was my first thought. My thoughtful boss had told me to take the week off, to allow the bruises to be less visible of course. Melina had driven me to Lacey’s house and that’s where I had stayed until Randy appeared. 

He hadn’t called me since he left that day and I hadn’t reached out because I knew he had every right to be livid with me. I just didn’t want to lose him but also didn’t want to be dependent on him. I had never seen him so angry with me and it hurt seeing his eyes darken and having him screaming at me when all I wanted was to be in his arms. 

I frowned as the door swung open because I knew my mom had just left to take Luca to school. Lacey’s voice filling my room cleared up my confusion though but it didn’t make me want to remove the covers from my head.

“Well clearly someone has been drowning in her sorrows. You need to get up. It's Thursday which means Randy is in town” I felt her sit onto the bed but still held onto the covers.

“And?”

“Lyla, you have been shutting out the world for the last week. You don’t need to hide your face, your mom left.” I felt her pat my leg, her tone was hopeful as always, even though she had witnessed the whole thing last week.

I sighed as the bruises were almost gone but I had been avoiding my mom and pulling the covers over my face whenever she came in.

“Randy is done with me” I mumbled, revealing my face which caused a huge pout to form on hers.

“He is not. Yes, he went all Viper on you but that’s only because he loves you and he saw you hurt. Even Felix was ready to kill someone, and he is right you know?” She narrowed her eyes while moving my hair out of my face, it was definitely a knotted mess at this point.

“I know that he can make my life easier with his wealth but I don’t want to be a charity case for him. That’s what Cody’s parents saw me as, the poor kid that tried to trap their son with a kid. ” I shook my head as I recalled how they asked me if I was sure he was the father when he had been the only boy I had been with but knew what they tried to imply about me.

“That wasn’t true and still isn’t.” 

“I want to do things my way and this won’t happen again. I shouldn’t have fought back” I croaked and she immediately shook her head.

“Don’t do that, Lyla. That pig deserves to have his ass kicked, I don’t know how you can go back. I know that Felix’s club is still taking off so he can’t afford to pay you as much but…”

“I just want to sleep” I tried to pull the covers over my face again and just avoid all the thinking I had to do but she pulled them back her way.

She sighed, “Well sorry but you can’t. I am going to drive you to Randy’s house so you can sort this out”

“He doesn’t want to see me” 

“He loves you, whether it was just said in defence of you or not. He loves you so he definitely wants to see you and you should be the one to reach out first. Now get up and please shower and try to look like the woman that had him wrapped around her finger”

●●●

|Randy|

“But I wanted to buy two chocolate bars” Alanna whined as we entered the house and I rolled my eyes.

“And have your mom mad at me when you’re on a sugar high when I drop you off later?” I scoffed as she entered the kitchen but she stopped almost immediately and I was about to ask what was wrong until I saw Lyla.

“What are you doing here?” I blurted out because I was fucking surprised to see her.

“Uhm…” She glanced down to Alanna with a smile and I remembered my daughter was standing in front of me.

I cleared my throat and set the bag down and took the other one from Alanna. “Er sweetie, this is my friend Lyla. Well I guess Aunt Lyla to you”

“Hello” She smiled at her before turning to me. “Daddy, can I go in my room?”

“Yeah” I nodded but as soon as I did I saw her run off with one candy bar in hand and rolled my eyes but realized I had to deal with Lyla.

Her eyes followed Alanna before she stared at me, “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize she would be here and…”

“How did you even get in?” 

“You gave me a key remember? If you want me to leave…”

I set the groceries down on the counter, “I just don’t understand what you are doing here, Lyla. I am sure I made myself very clear the last time we saw each other”

I avoided staring at her, I was happy to see her but I didn’t want to look at her and let her think it was all just going to go back to normal. I had meant what I said to her, and even more so after seeing what damage had been done.

“I know you were angry and you had every right to be. And…”

“I told you if it happened again I was done” I briefly glanced at her and saw the hurt in her eyes so I focused on the things I had gotten with Alanna.

“Are you serious?” She whispered.

“The fact that you didn’t contact me while I was gone made me believe that you thought I was. But walking in here and seeing you makes me realize you didn’t”

“I did think we were, but Lacey made me believe that I was delusional, so she dropped me off here but now I realize that was a mistake.”

“I think it was” My jaw clenched as I fought with myself, I wanted her to see what she would be losing if she chose to stay at that place.

“You thought the perfect ending to us was you leaving me in tears after screaming at me relentlessly?”

“Don’t do that. If you want to take anyone down a guilt trip it should be that boss of yours. I was worried sick about you because you were avoiding me and thought I screwed up again and then when I found you I saw my worst nightmare in reality. Lyla, my daughter is here, I can’t do this right now”

“I guess I should go then” She croaked and I looked at her for the first time and didn’t look away. I sighed and moved towards her and wrapped my arms around her.

“I'm sorry” She sobbed and I held her tighter, I didn’t want to make her feel like she needed to apologize because she hadn’t done it to herself. But she chose to stay when I could help her…

“I can't do this with you every time and make you think that its okay” I whispered even though I was as good as hers and felt her nod. “I need to think. Cause I can’t do this with Alanna around, we can talk about this the next time I am in town”

She moved back and stared up at me, “Okay. I’ll order an Uber and…”

“I didn’t mean you had to leave. Call Lacey, tell her to pick you up when she can. In the mean time, you can help me prepare lunch…” I kissed her forehead and moved past her.