Chapter Thirty-Seven: To Shift or Not to Shift

Hi Guys, sorry this is a day late. I've uploaded two chapters to make up for it though. Hope you enjoy it :) 

Kaelynn

It's happened. The feeling, it's unbelievable, unlike anything. I'm not sure how to even describe it, my words won't do it justice. It's as if I'm complete, my whole life was a fraction of my full self until now; upgrading itself from 480 pixels to 1080 or moving from dollar store to Swiss chocolate.

Knifes clashing, prayers being whispered, shuddering children. I can hear it all, from in front of me to just beyond the pack borders. Every vibration ringing through my ears intensifying with every growl, sob and yell. The scent of charcoal and grass travelling up my nostrils as the smoke in front of me continues to fog the sky. The moon no longer visible, or is it the sun now? Beneath the chaos, right in front me stands the destroyer. The woman who led the army here.

Her wide eyes stare back at me, frozen in the moment. Her unharmed body peering over Avery's as the field behind her lies with corpses and the severely injured. I move towards her, my strides steady and calm, confident that she will be getting what she deserves. Shaking herself out of the moment she begins moving backwards, her steps in sync with mine. Her heavy breaths resonating in my ears, her dilated pupils not escaping my gaze either.

My paws continuing forward until she hits a wall. Her eyes scan the perimeter, moving side to side before residing back at me. Her body seeming smaller than usual, more fragile. Taking smaller steps forward, I stop inches in front of her. My paws reach out to her cheek, the brown fur rubs across her cheek, checking it's really her. It's her, that's for sure, all in the flesh and this time she will not escape.

My claws extend along my fur and Ruby's body shakes in response. She will pay for every hair she touched on Avery and for every second she allowed a torture chamber to exist. I look her in the eyes as my claw digs in to her cheek savouring the moment. Her screams come out as a loud melody, a charming song of vengeance.

Her body begins to fade as earlier, not giving me a chance to drag my claws through her skin. An angry growl escapes my mouth as she disappears once again. This time my senses heightened, her breaths a meter to my right give her away. My eyes lock on her form and sprinting her way, I knock her to the ground. My earlier mistake of giving her a chance to escape won't be repeated. My paw digs down on her chest restricting her airflow, watching her face pale.

It all seems too easy for her; years of inhuman torturing of others and she'll get to die within minutes. My other paw rises up to finish the earlier job clawing down her face. The fresh, vibrant red running through her locks and down to the dull grass. The metallic-iron scent mixing in with the rest of the pack from Avery to all the injured warriors. All the people I should have stood by and protected, yet Ruby came here and disregarded them like pawns in her twisted game.

My paws both now resting on her chest, dig down on her small frame. Her short raspy breaths come successively as she stops fighting. The tables have turned and I can't let the opportunity slide. Pushing down on her, a cracking follows and her limp body lies under me, still as a statue. My ears twitch up listening for life. No heartbeat, this time I'm sure it's the last of her.

Cocking my head to the side, I examine the corpse feeling nothing but anger. No remorse nor regret at the act, possibly peace though. Does that make me evil? Maybe but it can't be any more evil than playing with innocent lives and hurting my Avery.

Avery!

I turn around to see Avery sprawled across the floor, her naked human-form looking worse for wear. Running to her, my tongue runs across her face licking the dark-red dried blood, to which she groans slightly. Alive for now. She'll be good as new if I could just get her to the hospital, I hope. I nip my mouth at her shoulder, as gently as possible, trying to drag her body the few metres to the hospital. She groans harsher this time, not wanting to harm her or my Godchild, I stop. Instead, a loud growl leaves my lips in an attempt to call for help.

Within seconds, Mark arrives. His scruffy hair and sweat covered forehead showing the signs of the mate bond. He picks Avery up and starts running. My body slumping down the second his back disappears into the hospital. The warm patch of grass scattered with ashes softens my landing body. The sudden burst of previous energy taking its toll on me as every nerve in me begins shutting down. Every limb feeling as though it has been fighting for a lifetime yet somehow the pain is exonerating and dare I say, bliss.

Around me, sounds quieten down, the scent of blood no longer deepening by the second. The calmer surroundings bring peace to me and my wolf as our eyes snap shut and let nature devour us. At that moment, I take a mental vow to step-up and protect my kingdom, the way I should have done seven years.

My kingdom. My people. My war.