Chapter Fifteen: Sweet Revenge

Kaelynn

Reluctantly moving away, the weight of the arm on top of me whilst fighting back my lethargy, I bring myself up to my feet slowly rubbing my eyes open. Beside me, Avery and Kiara remain in a deep slumber, Avery's arm now awkwardly hanging down the side of the bed.

A yawn escapes my mouth and I internally reprimand myself for staying up so late plotting. Reminding myself that today is the day I get my revenge is all the motivation I need to start the day.

With excitement pouring through my veins, I am ready in no time. Looking back before leaving the room, the girls are still fast asleep under the white cotton sheets. Whilst on my tip-toes, my arms reach out for the primed white door quietly exiting into the long corridor and down the winding stairs towards the training fields where I spot Caleb right on cue.

"Hey, you missed breakfast. I grabbed your favourite," Caleb tosses me an apple as he walks towards me.

It almost makes me feel guilty for his later plight. Almost, but not quite. Smiling in appreciation, I take a bite into the apple savouring the sweet juices and crispness. For a minute, I am in pure bliss but when Brandos walks onto the field I am bought back to reality. Time to enact phase one of my plan.

"Listen up everyone. Today's training is going to be different," I begin to say as the usual warriors gather around. "We will be testing teamwork and perseverance. The challenge is to reach the highest mountain peak in front of us in pairs."

As suspected, Caleb teams up with Brandos. This is going to be a little too easy. Studying the surroundings ahead of us, the peak stands out by about 700m higher than anything else so there's no mistaking it. With clear clouds above us, every steep incline and jagged edge is visible on the mountain.

"Looks like you are going to have to bow out and take a loss! You don't have a partner," Caleb smirks across at me.

As I open my mouth, I am interrupted.

"I'm her partner," Ayden says making his way towards us.

"That's not exactly fair," Caleb retaliates as he sends a glare to Ayden.

"Life's not fair," I say sticking my tongue out and taking this opportunity to start the training before Caleb can say anymore. "Time starts in 3...2...1...Go!"

Warriors run in masses, some shifting, from the training fields past various hills towards the mountain straight ahead. The rocky steep mountains will require the human form to climb so it is clear many warriors are wasting their energy on shifting.

As all the warriors reach the foot of the mountain, Ayden glares at me wondering when part two of our plan commences.

"Let's go," I say when all warriors are out of sight.

Leading Ayden to the left, we run past the field towards the rocky terrain, avoiding the hills. As we continue walking over ragged rocks, Ayden's eyes peer into mine questioning the path we are taking. In silence, I continue until we reach a carved stairway leading straight to the top.

Ayden looks at me in disbelief before saying, "How is it that you know about this but Caleb doesn't?"

"My father," I hesitate and Ayden's eyes widen. "Well, he showed me the path."

Not wanting to draw more attention to my past, I pick up a backpack full of supplies that I left here earlier and my legs race up the stairs with Ayden close behind. We still need to reach the top before the boys or this will be our missed chance.

At the top, I sigh with relief when we are the only ones there. The pack lands are fully visible from here, I want to take in the view but there's no time for that now. We place ourselves behind a large copper-like rock and I open the backpack to reveal out secret weapons.

"Now we wait," I say as Ayden inspects the secret weapons.

Hearing groans in the background, we sense someone close. Anticipating our prey, we arm ourselves with our weapons and watch carefully behind the rock. Seeing a hand reach for the top, I know immediately it is Caleb. We wait for Caleb to pull himself up listening to him cheering himself on followed by Brandos who Caleb pulls up.

As they celebrate their victory with a hi-five, I give Ayden the signal to attack and within seconds our weapons are thrown at the boys who are yelling in panic, not realising what is happening. Watching the water balloons explode on them and drench them in water is too much for me. I let a burst of hysterical laughter and Ayden can't help it either.

With both boys glaring daggers at us, Caleb finally says, "I can't believe you both!"

Within seconds Caleb loosens up and laughs with us but Brandos continues to look at us in disappointment. He should have thought of the consequences before he sided with Caleb at the lake!

"The depths you both went through for the prank has me impressed," Caleb begins. "But how did you get up here so quickly?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I say as I laugh it off. I can't have Caleb knowing all my secret spots or I'll never have the upper hand again.

Caleb is about to argue but the rest of the warriors arriving at the summit distract him. The warriors struggle to keep a straight face seeing the condition of their future Alpha; some hold back and others look amused. I can well and truly now say, revenge has been served.

Not wanting his humiliated to last any longer, Caleb announces that we are leaving to return to the pack house.

"You guys go ahead. I have something to discuss with Kaelynn," Ayden says causing me to sit back down.

Caleb looks to me for approval and I nod. He hesitantly leaves us along with Brandos and the rest of the warriors.

Ayden sits down next to me and we both silently admire the view for a while. I notice how well protected the pack lands are especially at the border where rough, angular rocks lay at random. An enemy being able to get much further than the border would require immense skill and luck, which makes the last attack seem very strange. From the corner of my eyes, Ayden's fidgeting distracts my thoughts.

Is he nervous?

Looking up at him, I wonder what's going on with him. Ayden has never come across as nervous before and he certainly doesn't have a habit of beating around the bush.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, not being able to bear this shift in character.

He looks me in the eye and abruptly responds, "I want you to come back with us."

"Okay."

He looks at me bewildered for a second. Maybe he expected me to put up a fight or to just decline. The truth is it's safer for me to return with Ayden. Caleb and Edon trust me too much, if I was to attack them, they would stand no chance. Ayden on the other hand is cautious and knows better than to let his guard down around me.