Chapter Ten: Alliance Accepted

Ayden

When we arrived at the North border, I could see why Mark was unnerved on our journey here. It's bad enough the attacks are becoming more frequent, but now they are infiltrating further into our land.

"Alpha, there are three casualties. They are severe this time; we need to get them to the infirmary now," Kurt says as he prepares to go back.

"I'll stay here with Alpha Edon to bury the enemy bodies. Everyone else help Kurt with the casualties and head back," I say to my men.

After Dad was poisoned, I sent Kurt to the North border anticipating another attack. Kurt and I first met in preschool and instantly became best friends. When I became the Alpha, it was a no-brainer that he would be my Beta.

Leaving Edon behind with me is a tactical move; I'm hoping seeing the severity of the attack will make him see why we both need an alliance.

We begin digging a hole for the bodies and I see Edon reacting as I hoped. His face grows pale and I know we share the same fear; the fear of not being able to protect our people.

"The Queen gets stronger by day. We need to attack soon." Edon says.

"I take it, an alliance is back on the table?"

"My pack is ready to accept the alliance but if any harm comes to Kaelynn, consider the alliance broken."

I loosen up realising Edon had given up on taking Kaelynn back to his pack. Although curiosity gets the better of me.

"What changed your mind about Kaelynn?"

"The truth is, Caleb omitted that she was your mate. Had I known this; my approach would have been different."

Damn Caleb. He really does get in the way of me and my mate. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get rid of him soon before he causes me any more issues.

"Me and Caleb will leave tonight. With the increasing attacks, I would feel more comfortable with my pack." Edon says as if he read my mind.

I nod as we cover up the dead bodies with the soil we dug up. Unfortunately, we are far from seeing the last casualties of this conflict. We go back to the pack house in silence, both deep in our thoughts of the possible war.

Once we arrive, Edon breaks the news of their departure to Caleb. As expected, Caleb begins a heated argument with his Dad. I leave them to it, knowing Caleb will have to submit to his Alpha eventually.

Lucky for me, Edon has not passed on his title to Caleb yet. Unlike in our pack where Alpha's take the title at 18, in the Ethereal Midnight pack, the title is taken at 21. Caleb still had a few years to go, perhaps it was for the best. Caleb doesn't strike me as ready to be an Alpha yet.

Now to break the news to Kaelynn. Entering our room, I see Avery and Kaelynn going through magazines. As Avery sees me, she excuses herself leaving Kaelynn alone with me. She immediately tenses as she tidies away their mess.

"Did you have a good day?" I ask her.

"Yes, Alpha."

"Did you enjoy being in the movie room?"

"Yes, we-," she suddenly pauses realising I have caught her red handed.

"Did you really think my guard would let you out without my permission?"

Facing towards her, I see realisation hit her face. She starts heating up and all I can think about is her flushed skin against me before begging me for my body. I need to change my thoughts before I lose all control of myself.