Chapter Seventeen: Rejection

Kaelynn

Hours have passed into days since arriving back at the Grey Moon pack. Ayden's scent is now becoming a distant memory and sleeping in his room no longer brings the comfort that I crave. My longing to see him increases by day but I somehow hold myself back.

I had started to become accustomed to his company before we returned. The sudden withdrawal from Ayden has left a permanent knot in my stomach, he must have come back to reality about my past. How can I blame him for wanting to protect himself from me?

Despite this, instead of taking the stairs downstairs to breakfast, my feet start carrying me through an endlessly long corridor. Recognising the route from my interrogation, my destination becomes clear. Taking in a deep breath through my nostrils, the scent of apple pie and cinnamon floods in and I know Ayden is close. When I reach his study, my feet stay planted on the ground whilst I ponder entering.

Am I crazy? He doesn't want to see me.

Coming back to reality, I retreat and run to the kitchen for breakfast where I spot Avery at the table already. The sweet notes of vanilla and syrup entice me to the table where I take a plateful of French toast. Peering to Avery on my right, I see her using bacon to scoop up mint choc chip ice cream and can't help but smile.

"What? The baby wants this," she scoffs at me.

"I didn't say anything," I say innocently to which she rolls her eyes.

Avery is having a human pregnancy so it's going to be another seven months of these bizarre cravings. Her flat stomach shows no evidence of her pregnancy but the cravings make it clear. Concentrating on my food, I break up a chunk of French toast with my fork and savour the bite before diving in to clear the plate within minutes.

All of a sudden, smashing can be heard above us. My ears perk up and the sound continues getting louder as the seconds go by. Soon after Kurt and some warriors run up the stairs.

Are we under attack?

My fight instincts kick in telling Avery to hide whilst I rush behind the warriors hoping nobody is hurt. When I see the direction we are heading in, my heart sinks and my nerves take over. The only thought that runs through my mind is whether Ayden is okay.

Kurt pushes open Ayden's office and the smashing abruptly stops. Trying to see over the warriors, my heart races as I think of all the possible explanations for what could be happening.

"Nothing to see here, let's leave," Kurt says.

Kurt along with the warriors begin leaving on his command and I finally get a peek into the office. The floor is scattered with shattered glass, the cyclopean oak desk centred in the room now has a crack through it threatening to break it into two but most intimidating of all is the heaving Ayden standing amongst the mess. My eyes meet his and all I see is pure disgust. That look is enough to make me want to fall apart.

"What are you doing here again?" He growls with annoyance with his eyes bearing into mine.

Suddenly I feel shame knowing I had no right to come near his office either earlier or now. Deciding staying silent is the best course of action, I say nothing which seems to add to his irritation.

"Stay away from me. When this war is over, I will reject you so don't even try to get close to me."

This is what I expected all along but somehow my body stays frozen in shock. It isn't until Ayden walks towards me and slams the door shut in my face that I register what has just happened. His words replay in my head over and over again, that's when I feel continuous sharp pains in my chest. I hold onto my chest rubbing it, hoping that it calms the pain but it gets more intense with every second.