Chapter One: Run Away

Kaelynn

"Hey, hurry up! We're going to be late," Avery screams as I ran towards her. "Just because you're 18 today doesn't mean we can be late for the exam!"

I run faster knowing Avery is right, I need to ace this exam, or I may never get into medical school. I apologise to Avery as I give her a big hug and we go into the exam with our fingers and toes crossed.

---

"How did you find the exam?" I ask Avery as we proceed to the parking lot.

"Let's not talk about exams anymore! You're 18, let's go to Mark's finals party to celebrate just this once."

I hesitate, she knows all about my past and how important it is for me to hide. Ever since I murdered our pack and killed Father 3 years ago, I have become a rogue.

If a pack finds out I am in their territory, the punishment would be death. But worse than that, I don't want to hurt anyone again.

This party would be too dangerous. Mark is hosting the party at his family's house which is miles away from home. We'd have to stay the night and that could be very risky.

I'd be right in the middle of the Grey Moon Pack's territory! I remember the pack from my earlier studies with Father. They are a very aggressive, secretive pack that becomes more Ruthless with each successive Alpha. I dread to think of my fate if they captured me in their territory.

"Please, please, please! Mark has even saved us a room to stay in!" Avery is begging me now whilst putting on a sad face.

She knows I can't say no to her when she's like this. Avery has always been there for me despite my past so I could go to one party for her.

"Fine!"

"Who knows we may even find our mates there."

Avery winks at me all excited, she turns 18 next year and is already getting restless wanting to find her mate. Then there's me, the complete opposite. I hope I never find my mate. I don't deserve a mate after what I've done, not to mention he would never accept a rogue.

"We are here!" Avery squeals after an hour of driving.

To my left, I see a three-story mansion. I am astonished. The rusty wooden feel to the home suited the surroundings, the house was almost camouflaged. I can't even begin to imagine the number of rooms inside. Who knew Mark, the humble class joker, would turn out to live here?

"Let me just spray myself one more time to cover the wolf scent," I tell Avery.

"But how will you find your mate?"

"Avery, please! You know what I am capable of; I can't allow my mate to also get hurt."

Avery sighed as she gave up for now. She drags us straight to the outdoor bar.

"Come on. You can at least get drunk, can't you? We deserve this."

I nod and she starts pouring us drinks. She was right, we deserve to relax for one night after all the studying we've done all year. She keeps pouring us drinks and I gulp them all down. I don't even remember how many drinks we've had at this point, but I know the drinks are drowning away all the pain of my past.

---

The next morning, I wake up with a pounding headache. I don't drink often but when I do, I tend to get carried away. As nausea takes over my body, I rush outside to the garden to get some air. The breeze picks up and I feel my nausea easing so I continue walking. Luckily there is nobody around, most people would have left last night.

Inhaling the air, I feel a peace going through me. There's something in the air today calming me. I take in more breaths and my sense of smell gets stronger; I smell apple pie and cinnamon. Looking around, I wonder where the smell is coming from. The only thing I see in the distance is a man.

Oh shit, there's a man. I see him looking towards me and feel my wolf stirring up inside me. I see a tall broad man oozing power and it's clear this man is my mate. The intoxicating smell and my wolf going crazy; there's no mistaking it.

Hoping he doesn't sense me; I start running like crazy. I hear a growl and know he must be coming after me, which makes me speed up. I get to the main road and know my only chance out of here is hitchhiking. Luck is on my side; I find a ride straight away and manage to get home undetected.

As I close my eyes and remember mothers' words 'run away.' She's right I need to run away; I can't risk my mate finding me. College is over so I can leave and go to medical school somewhere else where I won't be recognised.

The reality dawns on me, that I will always be running but at least my family and loved ones will be safe from my wolf. I think back to Avery and how incomplete my life is going to be without her but I have no choice.

I pack up my few belongings; some clothes and my suppressants. I can't forget those! Father had taught me how to make suppressants as part of my survival training. Their original purpose was for spying and undercover missions but I use them to mask my wolf. They are working because I barely hear her. She can't get out and hurt anyone anymore.