Chapter Five: My Smart Mate

Ayden

"It looks like he is starting to stabilise. There's nothing to worry about, he's going to make it." Kaelynn is trying to make us feel better with her words but around the room, all I see are solemn, frightened faces.

"You heard Kaelynn. Dad is fine, all of you go and rest. I will call you the second Dad wakes up."

As I say this, everyone obeys and leaves. No-one can defy the words of an Alpha. I don't want Brandos or Mark to see Dad like this; it will be too painful for them. He will be better before we know it, I hope.

I clench my fists trying to keep my emotions in but they are overwhelming. I should have protected Dad better.

Suddenly I feel something on my hand. I look down and see Kaelynn holding my hand, I grip hers harder acknowledging my appreciation. We sit in silence and she doesn't move her hand.

I want to take her into my arms but I resist. I glance over to her and feel thankful for her comfort, without it I would be going down a spiral of self-blame rather than coming up with a solution. We are going to have to strengthen our defences around the house.

"Ayden, Ayden..." Kaelynn nudges me and I realised she is calling me. "Your phone is ringing."

It's Doctor Finn, I let go of Kaelynn's hand reluctantly and take the call outside. Dad is in safe hands with Kaelynn.

"Is everything okay? I have so many missed calls from you and Mark."

"Finn, where the hell were you?!! Dad could have died if Kaelynn was not here."

"Sorry Alpha, you know the situation in the Kingdom. There was an attack in the north. Is Zed okay?"

"He's survived thanks to Kaelynn. There's actually something suspicious about her."

"What is it?"

"She administered Dad Atropine and suggested he had been poisoned."

"That is suspicious. I have never taught her about Atropine, I don't know how she could learn of its uses without having knowledge of our kind."

"I agree. Finn, how bad is it in the north?"

"There's a few casualties but our army has managed well, no-one has died this time. Our defences are strong so I'm going to come back to you to make sure Zed is doing fine."

"Thanks, Finn."

Things really are getting worse and we are unprepared. Once Dad recovers, we will need to adjust our plans in light of the attack. Speaking of which, I need to get back to Dad.

"Kaelynn, is everything okay?" I ask panicking as I come back into the room.

"Relax, he's recovered. Heart beat is back to normal, breathing is stable. He should be back to his normal self in the morning."

I can't help but feel relieved.

"Ayden, why don't you go and rest? I can stay with Zed tonight." Kaelynn asks.

She must have sensed how exhausted I am. How did I end up with a mate this selfless and caring? If this was anyone else, I would demand they leave but this is my mate.

I walk up to her, wraps my arms around her waist and rests my head on my shoulders. The warmth of her body surrounds me, I feel a calm unlike any I have felt before. I could stay like this forever. What surprises me is her arms wrapping around me as well, she must be feeling the mate pull.

After what seems like forever, I take a step back. Kaelynn moves her face down so I move back to her lifting her face up. I feel electricity going through me and I can see she feels it too.