Chapter Forty-Eight: Battle Plans 2.0

Kaelynn

My fingers run along the uneven, gold frame before I slide the picture inside it. This is going to sit proud straight and centre in our room. My eyes travel to Kurt who is taking his sweet time to put up a nail. Kurt was definitely not my first choice but with Mark building a stroller and just about everyone else working on training, I was left with little choice.

"Ouch!" Kurt screeches out. "I hope you appreciate the pain I'm going through."

A dot of blood pokes out the smallest of pricks on his finger. Surely, he has been wounded much more than this just this past month between the chambers and our last battle. Yet he chooses this one moment to screech out in pain, what a drama queen.

I grab a plaster from the bathroom cabinet and offer it to Kurt. The sooner he gets over his 'cut,' the sooner I can have my picture up. He takes the plaster from me and takes a seat on the bed, the opposite reaction to what I was hoping.

"Look Kaelynn" Kurt says, voice unusually sharp. "I'm loyal to Ayden and this pack, I'll do whatever it takes to protect us and I need to know that you would do the same."

His words pile out and I know immediately that this is an extension to the conversation I overheard a few days ago.

"I-"

"You have to be sure of whatever you are about to say. Changing your mind later will destroy the pack."

"My loyalty lies here now and forever."

The words come out almost like an oath, one that I will keep to my dying breath and I'm sure of that. As sure as I am that I will never stop loving Ayden.

"Good. So, this picture better be worth it."

Kurt gets back up and manages to pin a wonky nail on the wall. I almost wish I had done this myself but not wanting to seem ungrateful for his help, I move over to hang the picture up. We take a step back and admire the picture for a while, or at least I'm admiring.

"Isn't it worth it?" I ask.

"Yes! Ayden is so going to hate it."

"I bet he'll love it," I snap back.

"Wanna bet?"

My mind is made up within seconds and to show my confidence, I say, "I bet you an apple pie."

"Get ready to watch me devour an entire pie."

My eyes roll and I shake my head at Kurt's overconfidence, that will be his downfall once again and that sweet pie will be mine for the eating. With the job done, Kurt heads out mumbling some words about training and I wait for the man of the hour.

The sun blazes through into the room and the tiniest of shadows form around the furniture. Ayden will be here soon; my fingers tap on the bed in anticipation of his arrival.

"Hey, ready for lunch?"

On cue, Ayden peers through the door edge. I motion him in and he raises his eyebrow in return, not expecting me to stay seated.

"What's the matter?" He asks.

I double tap the bed next to me and he moves closer to take a seat. His eyes on me the entire time. The entrancing look has my eyes locked into his and those lustrous dark eyes capture me in, drowning me within them so deep that my gaze remains stuck. The kind of stuck that has my lips curving up and my hands ready to explore every inch of him.

Ayden's lips move closer and capture mine in one swift movement. The kiss as intense as always, sweeter than honey and my insides glowing as though a dozen glowsticks were cracked inside. My hands travel up to his neck and my thumbs graze the bottom before travelling higher to his thick, soft hair. My fingers grip on to the strands pulling him deeper into the kiss.