Chapter Fifty-Two: Fight for Survival Part 2

Kaelynn

"Mom?" I say, my mind not registering it entirely.

She clasps my cheeks, her supple fingers gently grazing my skin. Instinctively my eyes close and my mind transports itself to when this was a regular occurrence, when we were a happy family.

"I've been waiting for you," she finally says.

"You have?"

"Ever since my guards spotted you and your little friend out back."

My eyes widen, eyeballs threatening to jump out, and soon after my erratic heartbeat has me asking, "What did you do to him?"

My fists clench up and I inch closer.

"Relax, darling. He's still alive."

I take a step back, fists still clenched. My eyes dart between her and the door as I decide whether I need to check for myself.

"It's not him I want. It's you."

"I can't." I shake my head.

"Just think what me and you could do for the kingdom together."

I snort leaves my lips and through gritted teeth, I say, "You mean torture chambers? Killing the weak? Destroying land and happiness?"

"Is that what you really think of me?"

"You killed Father!" I yell out, my fists clenching tighter.

"I had no choice; I told you what he did."

"You never told me your mate was Killian."

Her nostrils flare and her fingers run through her hair before she says, "He was still my mate."

"You have to give up, the kingdom will no longer be yours soon," I say pointing out to the crowds getting closer to the gates.

"We both know you can't kill me." A huff leaves her chest.

"Are you sure?" I ask, my voice coming out weak, soft, almost shaky.

"By joining me, you could protect Ayden."

My eyes widen and with a raised voice, I ask "What are you going to do?"

She signals her hand towards the telescope, aiming it at the crowd. I open and close my mouth a few times before moving forward, my eyes positioned into the telescope. Ayden's wolf in view charging at his current opponent, his movements as sleek as his last battle but my eyes zone in on the crimson drops along his back, left leg. Mother moves the telescope slightly and Pablo along with the loud woman from earlier stand inside the gates, only meters from the action.

"They're waiting for him," Mother says when I look back at her.

My face scrunches up, her words alien.

"They could do all sorts to that little injury."

"You are going to stoop to the same level as those who killed your mate?" My harsh voice blares out.

"Don't you dare compare me to them!"

My fists roll into balls once again and my legs sprint forward, charging for her naked face. My punch misses and runs through the vacuous air but I try again and again hoping for a different result each time. Pulse throbbing faster with every miss, meanwhile her grin gets wider. She takes a few steps back and my hands clutch on to the sandy wall, steadying myself.

"Do you see now? You can only win by joining me."

"And you can only win over my dead body," I say, snaring back.