Chapter 47

Where the fúck am I? There were no walls

Where the fúck am I? There were no walls. There was no floor. There was no ceiling. Everything was blindingly white.

What happened? That's when it all came back. The fire, Roman, the fight, the fire. I was dead.

''No, you're not,'' said a deep voice with hints of another accent. I turned to the direction it was coming from. I recognised him. I didn't know where from but I did. There stood a rather tall man with deep brown eyes. His arms were crossed over his mint green T-shirt, emphasising his muscles, which were paired army cargo pants. That was when the chain around his neck caught my eye. It clicked.

''Mr Vanvet?''

''Please we are family, you can call me Dmitri. As I was saying you aren't dead. You have one foot on either side of the door.''

I ran my hands through my hair out of frustration, ''I can't be here! Natasha could have our baby any moment now. I promised to be with her.''

''I know and we will help you get back.''

''We?''

''I missed you, sweetie.'' I couldn't speak or move. I couldn't believe she was standing in front of me. My mother. Still just as beautiful as the day she died. ''Look how much you've grown.''

''Maman, you're here.''

''You didn't think, I wouldn't take the first opportunity to see my baby boy. I see you've met Dimitri.''

''You know him?''

''Of course. We knew we were going to be family before you even met Natasha. I mean, who do you think lured your father into that coffee shop or convinced Melissa to agree to the proposal? Your relationship was written in the stars.''

I was confused. My mother was never really a huge believer in fate or destiny, not more than the average Christian. ''I am confused.''

''Think of it as the collision theory. You both needed activation energy to collide and to make something beautiful.'' I smiled as I remembered the day I thought her the collision theory. She really wanted to help with my homework so I used the analogy of how my parents meet.

''I wished you both could meet your grandson.''

''We have in some ways but for now, we need to get you back.'' Dmitri chipped.

''Okay, how do we do that?''

One week and his breathing has gotten better and his body seemed to be getting better

One week and his breathing has gotten better and his body seemed to be getting better. I had never seen him so still for such a long period of time. He looked so peaceful. What is he dreaming about? Is he scared?

''Mommy, daddy is going to be okay. Several hundreds of patients have woken up from comas.'' I felt the tears start to run. I was the parent. I was the mom. I should have been comforting him, not the other way around.

''I know, baby. He's going to get through this and we will be a happy family again.''

He came over to my side and gave me a huge. I didn't know how much I needed it.

''Hey Natasha, hey Tyson, how is it going?'' Arthur said with a sympathetic face as he did his handshake with Tyson. Before Tyson asked to get a soda from the vending machine.

''The same but they said they said his breathing is much better than when he first arrived. They are thinking about removing the tube.''

''That's good, Natasha. What about the burns?''

''They also seem to be healing nicely.''

''Good, good. What about you? How is the pregnancy?''

My hands moved to my stomach as I let out a big sigh. ''She is good. I feel as though my morning sickness has reduced but I think she misses her father. She kicked almost every time he spoke but since he stopped...''

''Well, that's good news

''Well, that's good news. Do you mind if I take a look?'' Arthur brought out a portable ultrasound. Knowing how difficult I found it to leave during my days, he made arrangements to have my appointments here. It almost felt as if he was with me.

As always, he was extremely careful not to come into any skin to skin contact with me. ''There we go. Your baby's in tip-top shape. I know you don't want to hear the heartbeat, but it is strong from what I can see.''

''Do you think he can wake up before I give birth?'' I looked over at him and hoped. I hoped that there would be some kind of miracle. That God would have pity on me and bring me back my husband. ''I can't do this without him. I need him.''

''You know as a doctor, I cannot comment on another doctor's patient, but you can do this. You did it with Tyson and you can do it again.''

''The whole point was that I wouldn't have to! You should have seen his face when we found out I was pregnant, he was so excited and happy. This was his chance but now...''

He inched his chair closer, ''look, Natasha, I get, I really do. You both are relatively young and you are most likely going to have more children. Don't think he wants you to focus on just giving birth to this baby.''

I just nodded then I looked around, ''why hasn't Tyson come back yet?!''

I didn't wait for him to respond. The jelly was already wiped from my stomach so I just pulled my shirt down and ran out.

I searched the right half of the corridors frantically as Arthur searched the other half. ''Tyson! Tyson! Tyson!''

That was when I passed his room. ''How did my son get in there?'' I said as I ran over to him.

''Is this who put daddy in a coma?'' He was all alone. No visitors. No flowers. No nothing.

Suddenly, it all made sense. He was all alone.