Chapter 43

It didn't take long for my fear to come back

It didn't take long for my fear to come back. Thankfully, I didn't get a panic attack but it was the frightening shiver I had ever had. When I realised it happened because Tyler bearly grazed me, that's when I really got scared. The fear of never being able to touch him again consumed me like water does to a drowning person.

''Mommy, are you okay?'' Tyson's sweet voice pulled me out of my trance. His big doe eyes looked at me, radiating worry.

''I'm fine, baby, now that I'm here with you and your daddy.''

Suddenly, the door burst open and my mother's arms enveloped me. I could see everyone walk into the room, all relieved and shocked. ''Thank the Lord for your safe delivery.''

She quickly let go when she felt my stomach. Her eyes started fogging up, ''you look beautiful.''

''You really do,'' Paul added.

They hugged me, treating me like fragile china. I held my breath. I figured if my body had something else to focus on, it wouldn't act up. It hardly worked, not that I would try it again.

Everyone stayed for. The conversation was much more awkward. It was as if the floor was covered in glass and they were trying to guide me through it. At some point, everything drowned out until all that was left was silence and darkness. I didn't move nor did speak, it was as if I was frozen. Then out of nowhere screams. Deafening, screeching screams. That's when I realised that they were mine. The ones from that night. I still couldn't move or speak.

''Na...sha, swe...tie... Natasha!'' Hearing the voices getting louder and louder, I broke out of it. ''Are you okay?''

They were all staring at me, some with pity, others with concern. I twirled my food around my plate a bit, ''yes, yes. I was thinking of doing a design, inspired by Rose.''

''That sounds like a wonderful idea,'' Tyler said, his eyes held something none of the others did. Guilt.

''I haven't failed to notice this new look you have going on,'' he smiled as he looked down shyly. It was obvious what happened. His hair was a lot longer and unstyled but still neat. His beard and moustache had also grown too long, to be considered a stubble but too short to be gross, ''I can't decide if it makes you look like an artist or a hobo.''

It made everyone laugh. ''I think he looks like a struggling artist, who happens to be homeless.''

''That's the one.'' I smiled. For the first time, it felt... real.

We spent the entire day together, it was really late when we decided to go to bed. Well, I decided when everyone started falling asleep in the living room.  It was clear why. I suppose they were scared that when they woke up, I would be fine.

It felt like the first time when I walked into our room. I examined every inch, every corner. I almost forgot how big the room was. I must have been staring too long because Tyler started to worry, ''mon amour, are you okay?''