Chapter 45

I slumped into the black leather couch in this cliché room

I slumped into the black leather couch in this cliché room. It had caramel walls and big plants in the corner, next to the huge window. The room was split into two as there was a small office. "Hello Mrs Grant, how are you today?" Dr Cray had lovely brunette hair slicked back into a low bun. Her big warm blue eyes, that contrasted her cool skin tone. Her black round glasses sat at the bridge of her nose.

"I'm fine. I don't know why Arthur recommended I come here, my husband and son need therapy, not me." My stomach was growing to uncomfortable measurements. It felt like Tyler attached a fúcking bowling ball onto my stomach. Even though I was only 23 weeks, I looked like I was 38.

"You have been through a lot. Arthur has given your records which states your... sexual assault, the phobias you've developed as a result and the panic attacks. But why don't we talk about your pregnancy first?"

I simply shyly nodded, ''it isn't my first pregnancy but it feels quite different. My first one was quieter and I wasn't nearly as big.'' We laughed as I shifted again.

''Well, I think you look beautiful. You are practically glowing.''

''Thank you.''

''However, this is your husband's first pregnancy?'' I again nodded and the smile on my face faded.

''Yes, he was so excited to be a part of this journey, just to have most of the good parts snatched away. I mean, he was far more ready for this baby, than I.''

''How does that make you feel?''

I quickly wiped the tear that fell from my eye, ''I suppose, I feel like I disappointed him, you know? He has given me the world and the stars and all he wanted was for us and our son to be a family. He can't even touch me now!''

''So, you think he regrets marrying you?''

I nodded, now the tears were flowing like a river.

She handed me a tissue, ''why do you think he married you?''

''I suppose he's been through a lot in his life and he imagined I bought some comfort and stability but what a great job I've done?''

She noted everything down, ''okay let's get off the topic of your husband for a second. Tell me about you and your son.''

''I'm scared. I'm scared that this is affecting him just as much as it's affecting Tyler. We haven't told him everything but he's a really smart 10-year-old. I'm pretty sure he knows what's going on or can at least sense.''

''Are you going to tell me about the zoning out?'' Wow, she really did know everything.

''There's nothing to tell.''

She gave me this sympathetic look, ''what do you feel when it happens?''

It was dead silent for a good minute, ''it's like I'm drowning in this overwhelming sense of hopelessness.''