Chapter 14

They had decided to watch a movie shortly after that. 

Unsurprisingly, Remus was the first to fall asleep. The second Logan had fully returned to his normal self, Remus’ eyes drifted shut. Almost immediately, Patton fetched a blanket and a pillow, moving Remus so that he was in a more comfortable position. 

The next person asleep was Virgil. His head simply fell on Patton’s shoulder, and he was out like a light.

Roman and Patton soon followed.

Then, it was just Logan and Janus awake. Both of them were staring at the screen, but it was obvious that neither were paying attention to the movie.

Janus glanced over at the hero, noting the conflicted expression on his face and the way his fists clenched and unclenched restlessly. He looked like he wanted to say something, but Janus wasn’t sure what it was.

“Are you okay?” Janus spoke up, causing Logan to jump and snap his head over to him. 

Logan’s mouth opened and closed, words he wanted to say just at the tip of his tongue. He looked away from Janus, fixing his gaze on the floor. 

"I'm sorry."

Janus’ eyebrows shot up in surprise, before slowly furrowing in confusion. “What?” He asked, tilting his head. 

Logan flushed, bowing his head so that Janus’ couldn’t see his expression. “I-I--” He took a deep breath, the tips of his ears turning red. “I didn’t mean to...lose control like that. I’m sorry you had to see that.”

Janus rose a brow. “That’s okay, Logan. It’s fine--”

“No, it’s not.” Logan shook his head, keeping his head lowered. “We were supposed to try and make you feel welcome and I ruined it.” He spat. “That--That kind of thing doesn’t happen often, okay? It’s not like it’s an everyday occurrence.” 

“Logan, really. It’s okay.” Janus reassured him. “I understand. You don’t need to--to hide things from me. I’m trying to be completely open and honest with you guys, and I want you to be able to talk to me about anything.” 

Yes, Janus wanted no secrets hidden from him. The Dragon Witch needed that info to take over the city, after all. 

“It’s easy for you to say that now.” Logan laughed bitterly. “But what about in the future? What if I lose control completely? Would you...Would you still stay around me?”

“Of course.” Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies--

“I’m not like the others, Janus.” Logan glanced up at him. “I’m--There’s something wrong with me. No one else gained their powers like I did.” 

“What was it like?” Janus couldn’t help himself from asking. 

“Painful.” Logan snorted humorlessly. “The most painful thing I’ve ever experienced.” He clenched his fists. “That’s why they called me back today, you know. They felt I was ‘getting too comfortable.’” 

“The Mind?” Janus asked.

“The Voices.” Logan confirmed, nodding. “I was...I was in this white room, like always. Except, this time it was different. They were...angry. She...She wouldn’t stop screaming.” He closed his eyes, seeming to be somewhere else completely for a moment. 

“Who is ‘she?’” Janus asked, fighting the eager grin that wanted to spread onto his face.

“She calls herself ‘The Messenger.’” Logan opened his eyes, though they were glazed over. He was shaking, unable to meet Janus’ gaze. “I don’t wanna talk about that place anymore.”