Chapter 36

Emile and Douglas had been sent back home after promising that they would only work in the Villains’ benefit. They’d been instructed to report any attempts at rebellion. Idly, Janus wondered what they would do when they discovered all the people hiding in their house thanks to Mrs. Picani.

Currently, Janus was sitting atop some random apartment building, staring at the heroes’ building in the distance. What were they doing right now, he wondered. Were they making a plan to get Patton’s powers back? Were they trying to figure out a way to defeat the villains? Perhaps they had given up, and were just watching the chaos unfold. 

Whatever the answer was, he didn’t know. 

And he wouldn’t know ever again. 

He severely doubted that the heroes had given up. It was against their nature to ever abandon anyone, much less the city as a whole. There were men, women, and children that needed their help, not to mention Patton and his powers. 

Logan had said they were going to get Remus back.

But he had also said they were going to get Janus back too, and that was impossible.

Not only would the result be unpleasant for both sides, his mother would never let him. He was right back where he started, all those months ago. Doing whatever the villains told him to, and wishing to be more than he currently was.

The only difference was that now he was terribly aware of how much he’d been missing for his whole life.

Janus sighed, glancing down at the street below.

The roads were mostly empty, the majority of people locking themselves inside their houses or waiting for a new order from the Dragon Witch. 

When Janus glanced into the windows, he saw curtains quickly closing, or people watching him blatantly, as if daring him to do something. Maybe they knew, in some strange way, they knew of the conflict that raged inside him every day. Too much of a hero to be who his mother wanted, and too much of a villain to go back to the heroes.

What was he?

Even if he were to realign himself with the heroes, the public would never trust him again. Not after everything he had helped the villains accomplish. 

Movement in the corner of his vision caught Janus’ attention. 

He turned, spotting Logic, a little bit away, pacing back and forth on a different rooftop. He hadn’t noticed Janus, gaze fixed on the empty street. 

Janus contemplated leaving him alone, but he was nothing if not a nuisance. 

He slowly approached the hero, who still had yet to see him. “Logic?” He put a condescending tone in his voice.

Logan jumped, whipping his head over to him. For a moment, he extended his hand as if he was about to use his powers on Janus, but quickly stopped himself. “Oh.” He murmured. “It’s you.” 

Janus wasn’t sure how to feel about Logan stopping himself. 

The hero looked awful, dark circles underneath his eyes, face a shade too pale, his whole body fidgeting restlessly, and his hair looking messier than it’s ever been. Janus didn’t think he’d ever seen Logan so distraught before.

“You look awful.” Janus chuckled slightly, though it sounded incredibly forced.

Logan didn’t say anything for a moment, before he exhaled shakily. “I know.” He murmured. “I just--It’s--I’m--” He ran a hand through his hair, frustrated with his inability to get the words out.