Chapter 34

Janus didn’t visit Mrs. Picani until his next patrol, which was three days later. 

Since his talk with Virgil, the city had almost fully submitted to the villains. People did whatever Ms. Libelle said, and people who showed particular loyalty had their loved ones revived. The mayor had agreed to let them have complete power, in exchange for the revival of his wife and two children.

Anyone who disobeyed their word would be imprisoned. The prison was run by Jafar. Janus didn’t like to think about what took place down there.

So, naturally, he was hoping that Mrs. Picani would at least pretend to be happy to see him. 

Instead, when she opened the door, she paled considerably. “Deceit?” She murmured.

“Hello.” He nodded politely. “May I come in?” 

Mrs. Picani furrowed her brow. “Is there a reason for your visit?” She asked, not opening the door any wider. It seemed she preferred to talk in the hallway. 

“Yes, there is.” Janus sighed. “I…I wanted to check up on you. I heard about Emile and Douglas.” 

She stiffened, before her expression crumpled and she hastily looked away. “I see.” She mumbled shakily. “Feeling guilty, are you?” 

Janus didn’t respond, not sure if there was a chance his mother was listening. He didn’t want to risk it. 

She sniffled, sighing. “I’ve been distracting myself. It’s about all I can do to keep myself from going mad with grief.” She laughed soberly. “Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.” 

“Did you ever really care for him?” She looked back at him, tears causing her eyes to be glassy. “Did you ever really care for my son, or was that a lie too?” 

Janus’ breath hitched, and he swallowed roughly.

Of course he had cared for Emile. 

He had been the boy’s favorite hero. He had seen how talented of an artist he was, and had seen how brightly he shined. The smiles that Emile managed to pry from every member of the League of Heroes were still ingrained in his memory.

“No.” Janus lied through his teeth. “I didn’t care for him at all.” 

Mrs. Picani’s eyes darkened and she pursed her lips, nodding as if she had expected that answer. “I see. Then, we have nothing more to discuss.” She smiled weakly, moving to close the door.

“You could bring them back, y’know.” Janus blurted out, causing her to pause. She glanced at him expectantly, a silent invite for him to continue. “I could get Sea Witch to bring the two of them back to life. You just need to prove your loyalty, and--”

Prove my loyalty?” Mrs. Picani echoed in disbelief. “Are you being serious?” She scoffed. “I will never let myself be ruled by you people.” She hissed, marching closer to him, the door shutting behind her. “I’d rather die than become a slave.”

“It’s not slavery--” Janus countered weakly. 

“Is it not? You’re not allowed to think for yourself, or express any opinions she disapproves of. Your diet is restricted, you get thrown in jail for the slightest of offenses. She controls your sleep schedule, what you wear, who you talk to, and what media you’re exposed to.” Mrs. Picani scoffed. “That doesn’t sound like freedom to me.” 

Janus didn’t know what to say, since all of that was true. Not only was it true, but he was one of the people enforcing those rules. 

Mrs. Picani’s door opened.