29: You are so brave

Peter hesitated only slightly as he lay Edmund in his hammock, covering him with a blanket before pulling up a chair so he could sit beside him. Lucy wandered over and Peter pulled her onto his lap, placing a kiss to the top of her head before turning to Edmund again. "The healer should be here in a minute okay?" He said gently.

Edmund took a deep breath and nodded slowly, resting his head back against the pillows. "Okay." He almost whispered.

Peter had no idea what to say, so the three just sat in complete silence for the next few minutes before Susan and a healer walked in.

Gently, Peter pushed Lucy from his lap and stood, giving Susan a small smile before turning to the healer.

"Let's have a look shall we." He said quietly, making his way over to Edmund.

Peter knelt down by Edmund's head, comforting him as the healer checked his injuries, which all in all took at least ten minutes, before he sighed. "What?" Peter mumbled.

"His arm." The healer said. "I'm afraid I will have to set the bones back into place for it to heal properly, I was hoping we could just put it in a cast and be done, but it's too bad of a break to do that."

Peter took a deep breath before looking down at Edmund, who looked so scared it broke Peter's heart. "H - Hear that Ed?" He murmured, brushing the hair from his brothers eyes.

Edmund nodded hesitantly, but took a deep breath. "No." He whispered.

Peter sighed. "Ed this has to happen okay?" He said gently. "But don't worry, it won't hurt for long."

Edmund stared at him before eventually nodding his head, reaching down to grip Peter's hand.

Peter gripped Edmund's hand tightly in his own before nodding at the healer, who slowly nodded back and took a careful hold of Edmund's arm.

"Would you be able to hold his shoulder and the top of his arm?" The healer asked Peter. "And when I say, pull?"

Peter felt slightly sick, but he nodded his head anyway, letting go of Edmund's hand and doing as he was asked.

The healer grabbed Edmund's hand and wrist, taking a deep breath. "Ready?" He said quietly.

Edmund took deep breaths and squeezed his eyes shut, shaking his head slightly but not saying anything.

The healer hesitated a little, before taking a deep breath. "1...2...3... now." And with that, the two pulled, Edmund screamed, and the bone slipped back into place.

Peter let his arm go quickly and turned to comfort him, Edmund now gasping in pain as tears streamed down his cheeks. "It's okay." He choked. "It's all over, it's done, you're alright."

The healer asked Susan to come and keep a tight hold of Edmund's hand, whilst still pulling a little, before he managed to put a cast on his arm, sighing when he was done.

"Okay, okay shh." Peter soothed, running his hand gently through his brothers dirty, greasy hair.

The healer placed his arm in a sling, tying the knots tightly behind his neck before turning to Peter. "All I can suggest is just cleaning the other injuries he has. They aren't deep enough to need stitches or anything and should heal by themselves."

Peter nodded slightly. "Thank you." He murmured.

"My pleasure." The healer said with a bow before he slowly left the tent, leaving the four children alone.

"Pete." Edmund whispered suddenly, eyes closed tightly.

"Right here Ed." Peter replied gently. "I'm right here I promise, I'm not leaving, and you're going to be fine."

Edmund took a few deep breaths before eventually opening his eyes, staring up at his brother for a while before swallowing hard. "Do you - Do you have to clean my injuries?" He all but whispered.

Peter sighed sadly. "We can't risk infection Eddy." He mumbled, brushing the hair back from his brothers eyes again.

Edmund swallowed hard, but he knew Peter was right, so he just nodded his head a little, his eyes slipping shut again.

Peter took a deep breath, and looked up when Susan suddenly handed him a bowl and a cloth. "Me and Lucy will wait outside." She said quietly, not wanting her sister to watch. "Call us when you're ready."

Peter gave her a grateful smile as he took the bowl and the cloth. "Will do." He mumbled, watching as the two left the tent, and finally he and Edmund were alone.

He looked back down at his brother, but his eyes were still closed, so he silently pulled up a chair, sat down and wet the cloth.

He managed to help Edmund out of his shirt, before pressing the damp cloth to the cut going down his chest, causing Edmund to gasp loudly and for his eyes to go wide.

Peter's heart broke, and he found himself whispering comfortingly as he tended to Edmund's wounds.

Eventually his chest and leg was cleaned, and Peter helped him into some more comfortable clothing, before dabbing the cloth to his cheek. "You are so brave Ed." He choked. "So brave."

Edmund stared at him, eyes filled with tears as he flinched. "I don't feel brave." He mumbled after a while.

Peter sighed. "But you are Ed." He said. "You're the bravest person I know."

Edmund managed a small smile for his brother, before his eyes started drooping. "I'm really tired." He whispered.

Peter nodded, and quickly finished up cleaning his cheek. "Get some sleep." He said with a smile. "I'll be right here with you okay?"

Edmund hesitated for a moment before nodding his head and making himself more comfortable.

Peter watched him carefully, tears in his eyes until his brother fell asleep, and just like he said, he stayed right there with him, not taking his eyes off of him even once.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡
Only three chapters left!😭