18: He couldn't return home

Peter didn't know what to do.

He stared down at his brothers body, tears still streaming down his cheeks as he trembled, his heart pounding in his chest.

He couldn't return home, what would he tell Susan and Lucy? That he'd killed his own brother? That would not end well at all.

He swallowed hard before taking a deep, shaky breath, he couldn't do this anymore, he felt sick.

The world was spinning as he sat there, and he placed a hand to his head, sobbing quietly until all his strength left him and he collapsed, passing out ten seconds later.

☆☆☆

"I'm so glad you're awake." Lucy whispered, her head resting on Edmund's chest as the two waited for Susan to come back with lunch.

"I am too." Edmund replied with a nod, a sigh escaping him a second later.

Lucy stared at him for a little while before swallowing hard. "You reckon Peter's on his way home?" She questioned, sounding unsure.

"He better be." Edmund muttered, giving Lucy a small smirk.

Lucy smiled slightly, her arm around Edmund's waist tightening a little. "Are you feeling okay?" She asked, voice sincere.

Edmund couldn't help but smile at this and nodded his head. "I'm alright." He whispered, deciding that she didn't need to know about how weak he felt, he'd be better soon enough so there really was no need to tell her.

"I bet Susan's not gonna let you leave the room for the next week though." Lucy said with a sudden giggle.

Edmund almost snorted. "You're probably right about that one." He laughed. "Its alright, I don't mind much, a lazy week doesn't sound too bad."

Lucy looked a little concerned. That wasn't like Edmund at all. "You're still not feeling well are you?" She whispered after a moment or two.

Edmund blinked at her, swallowing hard. "How'd you guess." He mumbled.

Lucy sighed. "You saying you don't mind bed rest." She explained. "That's not like you."

Edmund actually smiled a little. "You know me too well." He muttered, a teasing tone to his voice.

Lucy giggled. "Sure I do." She replied, before Susan entered the room.

She instantly handed Edmund the plate she had, giving him a gentle smile.

"Thanks." Edmund whispered, but for a long while he just sat there at stared at the food.

"Ed you need to eat." Susan said softly, sighing a little.

"I know." Edmund whispered with a nod. "I'm really hungry, its just - I dunno if I'm feeling well enough to eat."

Susan sighed sadly, nodding slowly. "I understand." She breathed. "But not eating will just make you feel worse."

Edmund stared at her for a short moment before sighing and nodding his head, slowly beginning to eat.

The food on his plate took a while to disappear, and Susan had to coax him to continue a few times, but eventually Edmund had eaten everything, and all in all he did look a lot better than he had.

"See." Susan said with a small grin. "You've already got a bit more colour to your cheeks."

Edmund chuckled. "Makes a change." He muttered.

Lucy giggled quietly, her and Edmund exchanging a grin as Susan took the plate from her brother. "Now I guess we wait for Peter to get home." She said.

"I hope he won't be too long." Lucy stepped in, worry in her eyes.

"He'll only be gone for a few more days Lu." Susan told her gently. "And they'll fly by, he'll be back before you know it."

Lucy nodded slowly before resting back against the pillows beside Edmund.

"And you Edmund, need as much time to recover as you can." Susan continued. "So I would recommend not leaving your room."

Lucy smirked at Edmund. "Told you so." She whispered.

"What?" Susan asked, frowning.

"Nothing." Lucy said quickly.

Susan frowned but Edmund spoke before she could say anything else. "Can I atleast go out on the balcony for some fresh air?" He asked hesitantly.

"Of course Ed." Susan said quickly. "I'm not that cruel."

Edmund smiled a bit before sighing. "I meant right now." He whispered.

This made Susan a little unsure. "Is that a good idea?" She asked slowly. "I mean, you've only just woken up."

"I know." Edmund choked. "But I need some fresh air, I feel extremely sick after eating."

It took a little persuading, but after a while Susan finally agreed, and together her and Lucy helped Edmund out onto the balcony, Susan worrying every single time he winced in pain.

"I'm fine Su." Edmund sighed when he finally sat down out on the balcony. "Everything just aches, it's not a bad pain at all."

Susan didn't look too sure, but nodded anyway, taking a seat beside her younger brother.

The three sat there together well into the afternoon, Edmund just enjoying the fact that he was awake, and alive, and not to mention the fact that Peter was well on his way home...

But as it turns out, Peter was far from the way home.

After waking up a few hours later to find Edmund's body gone (the magic had been defeated so therefore it had after a while faded) Peter had broken down once again, leaving him nearly unconscious again.

But after a while he'd slowly stood, wiping away anymore tears before slowly walking through the woods.

He couldn't return home, he couldn't face his sisters after what he'd done.

His brother was gone, his little brother, his baby brother. He was gone and he was never coming back, and this alone shattered Peter's heart, so the fact that he'd been the one to kill him, just made it a thousand times worse.

The death of his brother had left his heart broken, and he wasn't sure it could ever be fixed again.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡