8: It looked so real

Susan took a deep breath as she finished reading the letter sent by Peter, tears filling her eyes at learning that Edmund had been in constant pain since he'd fallen asleep.

Sighing a little, she folded up the paper before heading back up to her brothers room, finding Lucy sat on the edge of the bed eating breakfast.

"Everything okay?" She asked, having been worried since Tumnus had walked in saying there was a letter for them.

Susan hesitated a little before joining Lucy on the bed. "Yeah, everything's fine." She murmered, reaching over to brush Edmund's hair from his eyes.

"What did the letter say?" Lucy questioned, a small frown spread across her face.

Susan swallowed hard. "Nothing you need to worry about Lu." She sighed eventually.

Lucy stared at her for a little while before slowly nodding her head, not looking too sure but not bringing it up again. "Two days." She murmered after a while.

Susan took a deep breath. "Until Peter reaches the source of the magic?" She asked.

Lucy nodded. "If he can." She whispered.

Susan sighed slightly. "He will do it Lu." She said gently. "He's Peter, of course he will."

Lucy gave her a small smile and a small nod. "I know." She breathed.

"He'll fight the magic." Susan said somewhat firmly, before turning to Edmund, sighing a little. "For Edmund, he'll do it."

Lucy swallowed hard and glanced down at her older brother. "He's so pale." She whispered, sounding worried.

Susan sighed sadly. "He is isn't he." She breathed. Pale and in a lot of pain.

Slowly Susan ran a hand through her little brothers hair, leaning down to whisper in his ear. "You're brave Edmund." She murmered. "I promise everything will turn out fine. I know you're in a lot of pain right now, but please just hang on, you're stronger than you think you are Ed, we all know you can do it, remember that."

Lucy blinked at them both. "Pain?" She choked.

Susan took a deep breath. Lucy had sharp ears. "The letter was from Peter." She sighed, sitting up but keeping a hand on Edmund's head. "He spoke to Edmund last night, he told him he was in a lot of pain."

Lucy's eyes filled with tears. "What do we do?" She whispered.

Susan sighed sadly and shook her head. "I'm afraid there's nothing we can do." She mumbled. "Except wait for Peter to destroy the magic."

☆☆☆

Peter sighed a little as he walked through the woods, pace a little quicker than usual but not too fast.

He was determined to reach the source of the magic as soon as possible, and seeming as he was probably gonna be searching for a while, he knew he couldn't waste any time.

He'd woken at probably six that morning, and had been walking ever since. It was now perhaps midday, and he was feeling rather tired, his legs aching from the continuous walking, but still the pushed on.

Learning that Edmund was in constant pain had given him a lot more determination than he had before. Knowing that his little brother wasn't only dying, but suffering as well, caused his heart to break.

Whilst he knew his little brother was strong, he also knew that he had been through way too much pain in his life, and saving him from this pain as soon as possible was Peter's top priority at that moment.

He only hoped he could.

He knew that his fears were gonna appear to him any minute, not just when he was asleep, in the form of dreams.

But they'd be real. Right there in front of him, and if he was honest, he was scared to find out what he was going to see.

But no matter what it was, he would try his very hardest to fight against the magic, for Edmund's sake.

Whilst he knew he should probably stop and rest and have something to eat, Peter just kept walking, never slowing. He needed to get there as soon as possible... no one knew how much time Edmund actually had, and this scared him more than even he realised.

With a sigh he stepped over a tree root, running a hand through his hair with a sigh before readjusting the bag on his shoulder. He'd walk for another hour or so before stopping for no more than five minutes to eat some lunch.

So he walked for perhaps another half an hour, before a noise reached his ears.

He stopped dead where he was, taking a deep breath before he stopped breathing completely, listening for the noise again.

And sure enough it came.

Peter's heart began to pound... he recognised the noise.

It was someone crying.

But... why did he recognize it?

Allowing himself to breathe again, Peter took a couple steps forward and glanced around, turning to look to his left, his right, behind him and ahead of him.

He didn't spot anything at first... but when he once again turned to his left, he froze.

No

Peter's eyes filled with tears at what he saw.

And the worst part was... it looked so real.

Edmund was sat, leant against a nearby tree, tears streaming down his cheeks as he cried, gripping his right shoulder so tightly his knuckles had gone white... and his palms had gone red.

Edmund was injured.

But it's not Edmund!

Another sob escaped Peter's brother, and Peter felt sick as the sight of the blood dropping from Edmund's shoulder.

Keep walking!

Peter stood there, breathing heavy and tears threatening to fall.

He could not let himself get distracted by this... he could not let the magic win.

If the magic managed to persuade him that this was real, then he'd waste all his time helping "Edmund" and taking him back to Cair, and then there would be no time to destroy the magic before it claimed his brothers life.

But then the young boy opened his mouth, letting out a heart breaking sob. "Peter."

Peter's heart shattered.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡