Chapter 49

It took a long time for Kenton to manage Zalie and Elyza. Zalie had stopped crying but was mute and her eyes were vacant. Elyza was still in denial. He understood her attitude. Elijah was the last of her immediate family.

   Kenton himself hurt, but not as much as them. He had known Elijah a short time, but they had been friends. And he hated to see Zalie in so much pain. So, he tried to be strong and get them out of Hyrule Castle, which had become clear of Malice and attacking guardians. The guardians were still. It was a sharp contrast from the trip in.

   He wasn't sure where Link had gone, but he had seen the giant monster of Malice disappear from Hyrule Field and he figured that was a good place to start.

   Elyza walked slightly behind Kenton, and Zalie was holding onto his hand like a lifeline. He led them down the path, out of the castle. Link had to be around, right?

   "I'm going to look for him," Elyza said abruptly, stopping.

   Kenton knew he was losing this battle but he tried anyway. "Elyza, please, he's really and truly gone."

   "Even if he is—which he isn't—I'd still look for what was left," Elyza retorted. She turned around and hiked off. Zalie's gaze followed Elyza.

   "Fine. But meet us by the horses when you finish," Kenton called to her. It made him feel awful, but it was better this way. She needed to know, and he didn't think he or Zalie would be able to take the sight.

   She didn't respond. Kenton shook his head, turning away and pulling Zalie gently with him.

   They were walking through the Castle Town Ruins when Zalie spoke.

   "I understand now."

   Kenton paused, looking back at her. "Understand what?"

   "How it must have felt to lose your parents. I can imagine it now," she said, voice soft.

   He wasn't sure how to respond. He settled with a quiet nod. Then he turned back and they kept walking in silence.

             ———Zelda PoV———
   Zelda decided not to go with Link when he went to find his new friends. She couldn't go back inside the castle yet; she was far too happy to be free of it, having been trapped so long.

   She waited by their horses, saddened to remember that her own horse was long dead. She contented herself for the time stroking the pink mare.

   Many thoughts swirled in her head, but Zelda was simply glad that Link was alright and that the Shrine of Resurrection had worked, despite the side effects. She didn't know how much Link remembered, but he had seemed truly happy to see her. Perhaps it was because they were remnants of another time, left behind.

   Zelda glanced down at herself. Her dress was dirty, the white of it now muddied. Her hair was in a similar state. But she found clean clothes mattered more to her now that Hyrule was no longer in danger. It was strange to care about such things again.

   Sighing, she sat down in the grass, feet tucked beneath her. Not a lady-like posture, like she had been taught as a princess. But she hardly felt like a princess anymore. Not a daughter of a king, despite her sealing power, which was much weaker than it had been when she saved Link. She wasn't quite sure how she felt about her fading power yet. Her father had pushed her so hard to get it.

   Her father. Long gone. Zelda had never gotten to tell him that she loved him. Their final words had been terrible. Was it her fault that he had died? If she had gotten her power sooner, could she have saved more?