Part XXI. It's The 80s

Whizzer decides to find a guy, Marvin decides to not date again, Trina decides to bake a fucking pie for some reason, Jason just plays chess with himself, and Mendel is busy with either his job or failing at cartwheels. You decide.

No trigger warnings. Whizzer doesn't go to a bar, he writes a newspaper matchmaking column. I mean there's some sexual flirting, I guess?

Whizzer's Point of View: 12:03pm, January 3rd, 1980.

The newspaper was sat on my coffee table. Not mine, Trina and Mendel's. I'm reclining, my feet in the air as I stumble across a new page. A singles column. I never knew they had these. But honestly, I'd never looked for them.

I sigh and sip my coffee. There's a number to call if you want to be added to the column. I think every woman in town has an idea that I'm gay, so I wouldn't have to worry about only women asking me out from the column.

I sighed and spoke, "I'd prefer to remain anonymous and just keep in touch over the phone. My phone number is 212-304-6975 and I like fashion, scotch, and cats. I got out of an relationship and I'm looking for something possibly long term. My favorite color is pink."

The next day, I looked in the papers. My phone number was there and I was labeled gay. Well I'm fucked. No one was supposed to know that. They were supposed to kindly assume but keep it to themself. I've never bought this newspaper, honestly. I think Mendel has a subscription to it. So maybe they're just some gay newspaper you can get a subscription to or something- I know Marvin occasionally got them.

I decided to actually read this and wow... They were fucking gay. That is gay porn on page 2 and I never want to see that again- Oh thank God. Don't know why Mendel has a subscription to this. I flip to the back. It's for the crossword puzzle and the psychiatric parts in the back. Oh thank God. I don't want Trina to be hurt again in the same way. I laugh to myself.

I'll probably never get a call, but it's worth a shot. I can smell this apple pie baking. Probably Trina. I get up to walk to the kitchen, but the phone rings. I walk to the telephone and pick it up. There's a guy on the other end who is... Very flirty, to say the least. "Oh, hi." I say to the man.

"Hello, love. Don't use that mouth for talking, hon. Use it for something else." I chuckle. "I would but my son's down the hall." The guy seems ecstatic at the fact that I had a son. "Yeah? So you're a dad? Did you marry a woman before you realized you were gay?" Oh god. I had to explain everything to him. "No, my ex boyfriend did. I'm just a best friend of his ex wife or something."

"Oh, that's horrendous. I know you said something serious, but is a quick fling fine?" I could tell he was probably smirking and palming himself or something on the other end. "I don't do flings. I was a whore for years and I'm never going back." The guy seemed sad. "Oh, damn. It's a shame. You sound hot, John Doe. I get you'd look good with c-" I cut him off. "Yeah, no."

The guy sighed. "Guy I just met, my wife left me because she found out I was gay and cheating on her with a guy I'd met and then he left me after 10 months so I'm fucking sorry if I'm being forceful." And that was when it clicked for Whizzer. "Tell me about the guy." If this was Marvin, holy shit- "His last name was a color, he liked scotch, we met at a bar, my son loves him, he hates monogamy, and he hates my fashion."

It's obviously Marvin, but I decide to maybe freak him out a bit. "Knit ties with plaid shirts aren't exactly fashionable, Marv." I regretted it, but he wasn't pissed. "Holy fucking shit. Whizzer?" He laughed hysterically. Not at me, at the tinge of irony. "Marvin. How've you been? I can't stay long because I'm too busy treating my still apparent scar from a leather, 50 pound suitcase."

Marvin did a sad laugh at the reality of what I'd just said. "I've been fine, honestly. I think I'm getting better. Honestly. Mendel was holding me back aswell as me constantly wanting to find fucking love or some shit and forcing Trina to cook for me and love me." I smiled, glad he was improving.

"Well, Marvin. I should get going." I hung up. Jason was in the hallway and jumped on me. "Hi, Jason!" Jason smiled at me and told me about something in chess called castling that his friend had told him about. "Well, Jason, that's really cool!" Jason looked very proud of himself. "Thanks, Whizzer!"

Jason's Point of View: 12:22pm, January 3rd, 1980.

Whizzer was actually talking to dad again but the conversation had ended really abruptly so I don't know what to do but I think I have a really cool plan and it's gonna take a really long time and mom apparently just got done cooking pie but I heard the conversation when I was playing chess with myself.

So when I'm in 7th grade then I'll get to play junior high baseball and for my first game of that I was thinking of inviting Whizzer and dad so then they can meet up and my family will be really happy because I'm just really cool and I know how to fix really broken things like the time my glasses broke and I fixed them kinda but they fell apart again and mom had to fix them but that's not what I'm getting at.

Whizzer will be really happy because he'll have a really cool and successful long-term relationship with my dad and my dad will be happy because he'll have Whizzer back and that'll make everyone happy which is really cool so yay!

A/N: 1033 words! Have a nice day.