Chapter 55

"Jax? As in drug dealer Jax? The prick who sold me out to the cops? The guy that I punched in the face and broke his jaw?" I question, giving Morgan an alarmed look.

"Sure." She answers, looking around the corner.

"How do you know him?" I demand.

"I don't," She answers. "all I know is that he runs this town now, and kills anyone who trespasses."

"Oh, great. Well, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see me again." I say sarcastically.

"He won't remember you, Justin." Morgan reminds me.

"Oh, right." I mutter, feeling strangely disappointed.

I really wanted to finish that guy off when he turned me in, but Riley made me not kill him. Looking back on it now, it's probably a good thing that he did, otherwise I would have murdered two people in my past life. Still, I want to get revenge on Jax, and this might be the perfect time to do it.

I start to creep forward, just as I hear car doors slamming. Morgan catches my arm and gives me a 'don't be a moron' look, but I ignore her and rip myself out of her grasp. By the time I make it out of the isles of books, multiple footsteps come into the library.

"Who's here?" A voice bellows from the front. From where I'm standing I can't see him, but I can tell it's Jax.

Both Morgan and I keep silent, but a candlestick on a table near me catches my eye. It's not exactly a super lethal weapon, but at least it's something. The footsteps are getting closer to me, so I take a chance and run across the isles, exposing me for a few seconds.

Apparently I've been seen though, as I hear a, "Hey!" then the sound of a gunshot.

So, it's a candlestick versus a gun. Great chances of survival on my end. Before I pick it up, however, I remember something. I reach into my back pocket, and realize to my delight that Riley's pocket knife is still there. I pull it out and flick it open, studying the blade. It's not as powerful as a gun, but it's better than my original choice of weapon.

I realize the footsteps are getting much closer to me, so I hide behind another isle of books. The good thing about these shelves is that I can see through the gaps in the books to the row next to mine. I see Jax prowling around, along with two other guys. They were probably part of his gang from before.

I don't know how I'm going to get Jax alone, since I don't think I can fight off three full grown dudes all at once completely by myself. Maybe it would be better just to run away, but they might catch us. Plus, I don't do that. I don't run away from my problems. I never have and I never will, so I want Jax to find me so I can take him down properly.

I see a jar on the table behind me, so I quietly pick it up, then throw it as far as I can down the hallway to my left. It shatters a few isles down and the three immediately start running after it. This is probably really dumb, but the moment Jax comes into my view, I leap at him with my knife. I manage to scratch the side of his neck, but it's not enough to kill him.

Jax whirls on me with fury blazing in his eyes and starts to pull out his gun. I kick him hard in the stomach and he staggers back, but the other two are already on me. I try to fight both of them, but they start to over power me. Jax pulls out his gun again and points it at my head, but before he can pull the trigger, a streak of orange crosses my vision and collides with him. Both Morgan and Jax fall to the ground, and I use that distraction to rip myself away from the other two. One of them tries to grab me again, but I twist his arm and slam it against the edge of one of the book cases, hopefully fracturing his elbow. Based on his scream of pain, I am guessing I was successful.

I face the other guy, but less than a second later, another gunshot goes off, and the bullet hits him right underneath his chin, killing him instantly. I look down, and see that Morgan has the gun, but Jax takes it from her a moment later. She springs up, and we both start running, just as he starts shooting at us again.

We round a corner, but Morgan suddenly stops, holding her side and breathing heavily. "What's wrong?" I gasp.

She hesitantly takes her hand off her side, and I can see a pool of blood where her hand was a moment ago. "He got me." She says in a shaky voice. "You need to leave, now."

"Hell no." I scoff. "I got you into this mess, so I'm getting you out."

I take her hand and turn around, but start back in surprise as I see Jax standing there with his gun pointed at us. "I don't think so." He smirks. "Now, get on your knees with your hands in the air."

I scowl at him, but there's no way that I can kill him with a knife now. So I do as he says and sink to the ground. Morgan joins me, with blood starting to drip onto the floor. "She needs help." I growl, keeping my eyes on Morgan's wound.

"I'll get her the help she needs." Jax answers, which surprises me into looking up at him. "But first I need something from you."

I feel dread building in my stomach. Whatever he wants it can not be good, but if it saves Morgan, then it is worth getting it.