Chapter 100

I'm pretty sure it's been about a year by now. Well, a little less I suppose. Maria is basically a walking calendar, or at least her stomach is. I'm eighteen by now, obviously, but since I have no idea what day of the week it is anymore, I have officially moved my birthday to the day when I got my trial name; Justin Wolf. I'm probably going to forget what day my naming ceremony was by next year, since I basically have the memory span of a goldfish, but that's not the point. Actually, there's no point at all really, to any of this. The only reason why I'm here is because I'm a total dumbass, and I started fucking up since day one of the apocalypse. Actually, since the day I was brought into existence. Yes, that's more accurate.

Anyway, life in the Valley Tribe is....interesting, to say the least. Bev is actually a damn good leader, and she keeps all the troublemakers in check, which is me, myself and I. I think there's been a few times where she wanted to drive a spear through my skull, but she managed to contain herself. The nice thing about our relationship is that I get to teach her things from the twenty first century, and she gets to lecture me on how to do then the 'tribal way'. Of course, I don't listen to a word she says, so that's probably why I've gotten in trouble so many times. Oh well. Deep down, I'm still that arrogant prick that everyone either hates or loves, but I'm trying really hard to be the best version of myself I can be.

I think fatherhood will be good for me too. I'll have to be a lot more mature, and set a good example for my kid, because I do not want them turning out like....me. So yeah, super mature medium rare Justin with a side of mildly humble non-dickish personality. That's me.

I'm still keeping my humour though, it's one of the best parts of me. Although, I think ninety percent of me is pretty damn awesome. I know I shouldn't think like that anymore though, there is a very big difference between confidence and cockiness. In Bev's words, I should 'strive to be more level headed, and less like a self-centred fucksponge'. I think my verbal dictionary is starting to rub off on her.

Maria, on the other hand, is indeed not a fucksponge. Bev seems to really like her, which is totally not fair because we are a package deal. If she likes my girlfriend, then she has to like me too. It's common logic.

Speaking of my girlfriend, I hear a shriek come from the Healer's tent. It takes all my will power to not go charging in there, because Bev gave me very specific orders to not enter the tent. That is totally stupid though, because that is my child Maria is currently pushing out of her body, and I deserve to be the first one to see my beautiful little slime ball. But NO, I have to WAIT outside, and be PATIENT, which is TOTALLY NOT my forte. Ugh!

I start angrily pacing back and forth, clenching my firsts and glaring at the ground. I need to be in there, right now, but no boys allowed. It's like kindergarten all over again. Although, back then Riley and my mom were alive, and everything was just peachy. How things have changed....

I'm broken out of my wandering thoughts as Bev comes gliding out of the tent, and I stop in my tracks and stare desperately at her. She gives me an amused smile, and says, "You can go in now."

I waste absolutely no time, and rush into the Healer's tent. My eyes instantly latch onto Maria, and she gazes up at me with tired yet joyful eyes. "It's a girl." She says quietly, holding a bundle of blankets up to her chest.

I rush over to her bedside, and crash down onto my knees. I peer at my daughter, and see her cute little face poking out of the blankets. She's perfect. She is absolutely fucking perfect. Never in a million years would I think I would be this lucky, but here I am, practically winning the goddamn lottery.

"What should we name her?" I wonder, finally looking up at Maria, who is giving her child a thoughtful look.

A million names start bouncing around in my head; Lucy, Avery, Rebecca, Aria, Blare, Michelle, Ella, Lily, Luna. Maybe even Riley. Maria is the one who birthed her though, so she gets to pick. Whatever she chooses, I will love it, and I will love both my girls forever.