Chapter 21

"Wow, don't I look spiffy?" I mumbled sarcastically as I looked at myself in the mirror.

It is now the next morning, and I had to spend the entire night in that thoroughly uncomfortable jail cell. A few hours ago, Morgan came back to collect me, and here I am wearing a suit. Honestly, I looked like I was about to make a business deal, but that was not the case at all. Instead, I was going to a courthouse in about half an hour to plead for my innocence, which was unfortunate because I was not innocent in any department of my life.

"Is it possible for you to at least attempt to take this seriously?" Morgan sighed behind me, messing with the back of my suit.

"I am taking it seriously." I assured her. "I seriously regret that firework didn't turn me into a pork chop instead of Riley."

She looked up and scowled at me, then wacked me in the back of my head. "Don't say shit like that. Riley gave his life to save yours, so don't you dare throw that away so you can commit suicide."

"I'm not planning on killing myself, Morgan. I just wished it was me who died, not Riley. He deserved to live more than I do." I sighed.

"I agree, but there's nothing we can do about it now." She mumbled, but I heard her.

"Thanks, cousin. I appreciate that." I rolled my eyes, and she looked at me guiltily.

Before she could apologize or anything, the door to her room opened and in walked Morgan's mom, Jen. "Hello, Justin." She said stiffly, and I realized this was the first time we've spoken to each other in over four years.

"Hi, Jen." I replied awkwardly, having a hard time looking into her blazing blue eyes.

"Mrs. Vaughn." She corrected, frowning slightly. Apparently we're not on a first name basis anymore.

I nodded, but didn't say anything. I looked back in the mirror, just as Morgan stepped back. "You're ready." She said without a hint of emotion in her voice or face, which usually happened when her mom stepped into the room.

I studied myself in the mirror one last time. This was it. I was about to find out if I was going to be charged with the murder of Riley Sumit, my best friend. I was fairly certain I would, because I doubted Jen would be any help at all, since she hated me. So, yeah, here I go. Walking straight into the hell hole that was my future.

—-

We made it to the courthouse early, so I was stuck in a waiting room until everyone showed up. Apparently Riley's parents were coming too, according to Morgan. That made sense, but they were the last people I wanted to see. They weren't a big fan of me before, but now that their son is dead because of me, they will be livid. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to kill me on sight. I deserved it after all.

As I was waiting for a solid five minutes, the door to the waiting room opened abruptly. I expected it to be Morgan or Jen, but instead I was greeted by the most beautiful girl in this entire town. "Maria." I breathed, smiling.

"Justin! Are you alright?" She asked, as I stood up and wrapped my arms around her.

"Not really, no." I laughed, trying to hide the underlining sob that came with it.

Maria pulled back, and gave me a sympathetic look. "You're allowed to cry, Justin. Your brother just died."

"I killed him though. That's what makes it ten times worse." I said quietly, rubbing my eyes.

"You didn't kill him. He saved your life." She said firmly. "You are not a murderer, Justin. You have a good heart, deep down."

"Maybe," I said uncertainly. "but on the surface I'm an arrogant prick who kills his friends for fun. No one is going to believe that was an accident, not with the criminal record I already have at least."

"You will be okay, we will figure this out." She tried to reassure me, but I didn't believe her.

I shook my head. "I'm going to jail, Maria. There's nothing you or anyone else can do about it."

"No, you don't know that." She said stubbornly, her eyes filled with tears.

"I've already been arrested twice. I was on my last strike anyway. I did three illegal things last night. I stole a car again, I shot off fireworks without a permit, and I got someone killed. I am going to jail. There is no doubt about it. We don't even need to do this stupid trial." I explained, trying to sound calm but my voice was starting to shake.

"I don't want you to go to jail." Maria nearly whispered. She pulled me into a hug again, and I could hear her crying softly.

"I know," I said softly, stroking her hair. "but I'll be okay. Trust me, I think I'll survive there."