Chapter 73

"No no no." I mutter, running forward and skidding to the ground. "Morgan, wake up." I order, dragging her limp body out from under the smaller pieces of rubble.

Luckily, she wasn't trapped or impaled or anything, although something must have hit her in the head, since there's a gash on her hairline that's still oozing out blood. Besides a few scrapes and cuts, she doesn't appear to be injured a whole lot, but she's completely motionless. I'm pretty sure she's breathing, but it's so shallow I can't even tell. The good news is that I know she's not dead, but that's as good as it's getting right now.

"Morgan, please wake up." I whisper, pulling her into my lap. "Please. Don't leave me. I need you. I really fucking need you." My voice starts to crack with tears, and I pull her close to my chest, stroking her hair. "I know I was a major dick back there, and I'm sorry. I am so sorry, and I will never hurt you again. I promise. Please, just wake up."

I know this is so cliche, but at this point I'm desperate enough to try anything. I would do anything to keep Morgan alive, because I love her. I lower my head down to hers, and press my lips against hers. I know I said before that I would never kiss her again, but this is an exception, even though it probably won't make a difference.

When I pull back, I study Morgan's face intently, but not a hint of emotion creases it. My shoulders sag with disappointment, but I knew it was delusional to try that. This isn't some Disney movie where prince charming kisses sleeping beauty and she magically wakes up. This is real life, and this is the apocalypse. So I got to get my shit together and find another way to wake her up.

I lower my head down to her chest, and I hear that she still has a heartbeat, which is good. I don't know why she's not waking up though. "Morgan!" I shout, shaking her shoulders vigorously, but she still doesn't give off any sign of life. "M-mor-morgan." I slump forward, placing my forehead on her chest and feeling tears dripping from my face onto her clothes.

I don't have a chance to wallow in my sorrow for very long though, as a massive explosion very close by shakes the ground beneath me, and I'm half expecting to fall through any second. Instead, I feel myself tipping to the left, and I think that I'm about to pass out, until I realize that it's not me that's tipping, it's the entire goddamn building!

I look out the large window directly across from me, and see to my horror that the building we're in right now is falling over, and is about to collide with another building right beside this one. Holy shit, we're about to die. The only thing I can do now is hold onto Morgan, and never let go.

I only have a few more seconds left to live, but I'm grateful for the second chance that I got. I got to see Morgan again, and remember Riley for a little while longer. I never found Maria, but that's okay. I just hope she's living a safe and happy life. I've changed a lot, and I hope for the better. I hope I've become a good person, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

I close my eyes less than a second before the buildings collide, and hold Morgan tightly in my arms. A moment later, I hear the sound of the impact, and realize we're free falling through the air. I refuse to open my eyes though, and within seconds, there's nothing more left to see. There is now only darkness, and I let myself sink into it forever.

—-

My brain was on fire and blood was pouring down my face. I couldn't think and I couldn't breathe, and all I could focus on was the pain. I couldn't hear or see, but I sensed I wasn't alone. I wanted to move and let someone know I was alive, but I couldn't control my body. It was as if I didn't have one anymore, and I was just a mind floating through space. Was I even alive? Or on the verge of death? Was I just a lost soul, trying to find another human vessel to call home? Whatever I was, did I have to spend the rest of my consciousness swimming in darkness?

I must have been still attached to my body, because I could tell I had a face and limbs and a voice, but I just couldn't use any of it. How long did I have to wait like this before I could live again? I didn't even know if I could live again. Maybe this was it. Maybe this was the end of my life. Maybe I would never see light again, and I would be stuck here for infinity.

I tried so hard so many times to reach out and prove that I was still here, but nothing ever came of it. I had no idea how long it has been. A day? Two weeks? Three months? Four years? I had no idea how long I was stuck in this state for, but I did know that I was still alive, and that maybe, one day, I would see light once again.