Chapter 37 - Duke

I furrowed my brow at the statistics for this month.

The drug sales had increased pleasantly along with the demand for the drugs. Yet, there was an apparent decline in customers at the bar. As normal, the usual known customers would attend each evening to get away from their wives or to drink their worries away. A secret underground club must have been opened by the Russians; I couldn't think of any other explanation.

After a while, my mind started wondering to the previous times I was in this office with her. Her dark brown hair lying in shiny waves and gaze intent on the show she was watching. It was always interesting to watch her facial expressions throughout the show; like an open book. I could spend hours admiring her natural beauty.

Throughout the past six months, I had considered countless times going to check on her to see how she had settled in. Yet, I hadn't said her name the entire time since I left all those months ago.

Five letters;

Two syllables;

A short word;

"Abbie!" Ryder yells, bursting through my office door.

Yeah, that name.

Confusion then anger take over my body as I stared up at Ryder. I had warned my men when I came back that her name was forbidden to be spoken from anyone's lips as long as I lived. Few men had suffered the consequences when speaking her name, some men almost died from speaking poorly about her.

"I told you not to speak of that name." I quietly warn, trying to keep my composure. Ryder looked terrified, as if he'd seen a ghost. My anger quickly dissipated. "What's wrong?"

Was she hurt?

Why did Ryder look so panicked?

"Pavel has Abbie."

My chair clatters onto the floor and my body vibrates with anger. "Tell me you're fucking joking."

"I'm not! We need to help her now!"

"How do you know she's been taken?" I seethe, bridging the gap between us. "Have you been seeing her behind my back?"

I deliver a harsh punch to his jaw.

"Duke what the fuck!" He nurses his jaw, backing away from me. "She rang the damn club asking for help."

I slowly lower my fist. "She knew she was in trouble?"

Why didn't she ring sooner?

Maybe I could have saved her?

Fuck!

"Abbie felt like someone was following her for a few days. She was meant to lock herself in the safe room until I got there but Pavel arrived too soon."

"Fuck!" I yell, scattering the contents of my desk onto the floor.

"Duke!" Ryder calls over my rage.

I was too far gone to give a shit.

This was all my fault.

I never should have given her up.

"Duke!" Ryder yells again, grabbing my shoulders. Focusing my attention on him. "We can't afford to waste time throwing a fit. Abbie needs our help."

"How am I meant to find her? Pavel has her now." My body slumps down against the wall and my heart rate slows down.

"He'll send us a message soon enough. Pavel wants something from the club, we both know that."

"That message could take days to send, maybe even weeks." I groan. "You know Pavel, he likes the anticipation, the waiting game."