Breathless: Chapter 2

"Um, hey Darry." Skye scratched the back of her head feeling uneasy. She was probably wondering if Darry was happy or upset that she was here. I think we all were.

The gang walked past him trying to get a look at Skye. She had a high-pitched voice which combined sweetly with her country accent. I got a good look at her. She was a very dainty woman but was still quite tall. She had thin lips, a small nose, and big, blue eyes.

"I'm so glad you're here!" Darry continued finally. We all sighed in relief. It would've been so awkward if he wouldn't want her here. I was still confused as to what their relationship was.

"Hey everybody, I'm Skye Preston. Um, I used to go to high school with Darry. After I graduated I moved out to the country for a while and I sort of missed the city so I'm visiting here for a while." She giggled.

Oh, so she went to high school with him. I had a feeling that there was a little more to that story though. That's when Ponyboy spoke up, "Oh Skye! Now I remember you! You and Darry used to-"

"Hang out." Darry interrupted covering Pony's mouth with his hand. Once he let go Pony made a look at him behind his back. I tried unsuccessfully to hold back my laughter.

"THEY USED TO DATE!" Pony blurted out suddenly. Then it was Darry's turn to make a face. I looked over at Skye and she was blushing and biting back a smile.

So high school sweethearts I see... Oh I was so going to meddle with their love life. I was going to get them back together.

•••

I went home and was watching Mickey with Two Bit and Austin and just fooling around. Then Dallas walked in sort of upset. Without a word I got up and wrapped my arms around him to calm him down.

I didn't want Austin to see him upset so I took him outside to talk about what happened. I lit up a smoke and gave one to Dallas before he started explaining.

"I can't believe he would do this to me..." He started mumbling uncontrollably that I couldn't catch a single word he was saying.

"Woah, hold your horses. Now explain to me why you're so pissed?" I interrupted briefly.

"Johnny told me that he likes Aj and that Aj likes him." He said slowly and hurtfully. I felt my heart stop and sink to my stomach. How could Aj do this to me. The tears started clouding my vision and when I blinked they streamed down my red cheeks.

She made a promise. She wouldn't hit on my boyfrie- oh. He wasn't my boyfriend. We broke up. I was supposed to forget about him. I will forget about him.

Dallas sat next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I stopped crying simply because I didn't need to. The past was in the past and Johnny was a part of the past. It was time to move forward.

"I'm not upset." I said quietly. I looked up at Dallas and repeated, "I'm not upset. And you shouldn't be either. It's okay. It'll be okay." I could never say anything more simpler.

He nodded his head agreeing with my statement. "It'll be okay because we have each other." I added finally. He kissed me on the cheek before we stood up. But when he kissed me, I felt something.

"Hey wait. Do you maybe want to go to a party?" He asked awkwardly.

"That'd be great." I smiled delightfully. "Let me just go tell them." I ran inside to tell Two Bit to babysit Austin but didn't tell him where we were going because he, obviously, would want to come, too.

We walked to Buck's in silence which was good because all I could think about was Dally's kiss. I got butterflies every time his hand accidentally brushed against mine. My heart skipped a beat whenever he looked down at me. I knew what was happening, I just didn't want to admit it.

When we arrived, we went straight to the bar to get ourselves a beer before going to sit on the couch. It felt good to go to a party with just Dallas and I again. Lately, Two Bit or Steve would tag along with us but luckily today we had some alone time.

After a couple more beers and several shots we were both drunk as a skunk. I was way too tired to dance and I just wanted to sleep. I called Dallas over the music and told him I'm going upstairs to his old room.

After stumbling up the stairs I finally made it to the hallway where the room was located. Before I entered I whipped around to see where Dallas was and when I did I bumped right into him.

I rubbed my forehead with my eyes closed. The room was spinning. "Oops," I giggled drunkenly, "my bad..." When I looked up Dallas was staring into my eyes with his arms wrapped around my waist.

He lifted me up against the wall and I wrapped my legs around his body. Suddenly, his lips connected with mine which escalated quickly into a heated make out session.

Without pulling away from our kiss, Dallas carried me to the room and laid me onto the bed. Then I realized what just happened. I was making out with Dallas Winston. Yet, I didn't have any regrets.

"Kay, Dallas. We need to stop, another time. Come here." I said while laying down. Thank goodness my drunk-self was still smart enough to say no to sex.

The next morning, Dallas was sleeping beside me with his shirt off. Did he take it off when we were kissing? I barely remembered anything but I did remember that we kissed.

I accidentally woke him up and he looked very confused. "Do you remember anything from last night?" I asked anxiously. What if he didn't? Should I keep the kiss a secret? What if he did? What would happen between us?

"Um sure, did you?" Oh gosh, he does remember.

"Uh, yeah." I replied uneasily. We sat there in a silence that was so awkward I couldn't breathe.

"I meant it." He spoke finally yet making the tension in the room increase. Was he talking about the incident? "I meant that kiss."

I snapped my head up at him with shock in my wide eyes. Did he like me? Why was I so excited about that? I think it was because maybe I liked him, too. "I think I like you." I blurted out.

Now he snapped up his head. "I mean. Well of course I like you. What I meant was-" Then kissed me again but this time we weren't drunk. We didn't make out but we did kiss. When we pulled away he said, "I think I like you, too."

-----------------

Soooooo... what about that twist?

Spoiler: Elle has doubts

Update: tomorrow