Fearless: Chapter 19

"Higher! Higher!" Austin cheered as I pushed him on the swing. I laughed as he screamed every time he went up. My laughter was interrupted by a strange sight in the distance.

"Aj! Johnny!" I called at them but they wouldn't listen. They were too busy talking. Aj was yelling at him, clearly frustrated.

"Are you ever going to confront them?" Two Bit asked as I came to a swing while he started pushing me. I shrugged in response. I just didn't know how to approach them or bring up the topic. It was just awkward.

"I'll tell you what. If you're too scared to go up to them by yourself I'll go with you." Two Bit suggested.

"Okay, fine. But later."

•~•

"Now?" Two Bit bugged for the 7th time since we got to the Curtis house. Two Bit has been living in my room since I don't even sleep in there.

"After." I said firmly. I was still kinda scared to speak with Aj and Johnny. But when they stepped out onto the porch for a smoke I knew that would be my only chance.

I gestured to Two Bit to walk outside first and he did as I asked. The two of them were talking quietly, probably arguing again.

Two Bit cleared his throat to catch their attention and they snapped their heads towards him right away. There was a bit of an awkward silence but Two Bit broke it, "Uh, Johnny, you got a smoke?"

Johnny nodded as he gave one to Two Bit but not to me obviously trying to avoid contact. Two Bit sat beside Aj and I sat on the end, farthest away from Johnny as possible. The tension was unbearable.

Again Two Bit was the icebreaker, "So uh... um... Elle wants to ask you something." He stuttered and rushed. I mentally slapped my forehead, now I have to start the conversation.

"Uh yeah, I've been meaning to talk to you guys," Aj tensed a bit and Johnny looked away.

I continued, "Well, lately you guys have been acting really weird. Johnny, you've been avoiding me for the past couple months. It just doesn't feel like you even care about me anymore. Aj, I know you enough to know you're hiding something from me. Please, jut someone explain."

The two of them looked at each other before Aj answered, "Elle, nothing's happening don't worry."

"Bullshit!" I stood up, "How could you lie to me!" I grabbed Johnny by the collar of his jean jacket and pulled him up to his feet. "Explain! Now!"

He kept his eyes to his shoes staring at them like they were the most interesting things in the world. "Look at my eyes and tell me what's happening." I demanded, yet his eyes didn't budge.

"Well fuck you, too, Johnny Cade. We're over." And I stormed away after catching a glimpse of the rest of the gang eavesdropping and peeking through the window. Well, that went well.

•~•

"Aj and I took a break." Dallas said out of the blue. I looked up from sorting our vinyl records.

"You broke up? When?"

"Well, she didn't phrase it as breaking up, she said we should take a break whatever that meant." He shrugged. "You know, you'll have to talk to them at some point. I mean, they're family and you don't just abandon family."

"Tell that to Johnny." I grumbled. I found the record I was looking for and set it on the player. It was a song about break ups.

Dallas walked up to me and held his hand out which I accepted. We swayed back and forth to the steady beat of the music. "Love sucks." I mumbled into his shoulder.

"Tell me about it..."

Just then, Austin arms wrapped around the back of me and he mumbled, "I might not completely know what love is, but what I do know is that I love you guys."