Fearless: Chapter 12

-Elle's POV-

I locked myself in the washroom with Two Bit on my mind. I sat in the corner curled up in a ball. Crying. I remember before moved here I never cried. I guess this whole experience made me soft.

No, not soft. I felt love for the first time. I miss him. I miss him so badly. Then the thought of never seeing him again crossed my mind. He was going to war. People died in war. Two Bit might die in war. That made me cry even harder.

My sobs were interrupted by knocks on the other side of the door, "Elle? Can I come in?"Austins voice came from under the crack of the door. I mumbled a 'yeah'. The door unlocked by itself.

"Uhm... Lock picker much?" I chuckled, wiping my smudged makeup away.

"Tell me what happened?" Austin asked.

I nodded, "Two Bit, remember him? He went to war when I was sent to the slammer. I forgot about it, that's why I forgot to tell you." I showed him a picture I always kept in my pocket.

"I think I would've liked him." Austin said cheerily.

I nodded and tried my best to hide my tears from him. I don't want him to see me like this, all vulnerable and depressed. He needs to have a strong guardian which I have to be.

I walked outside with Austin avoiding any eye contact with anyone. I simply sat on the couch and watched Mickey. It reminded me of Two Bit, I was close to tears. I quickly turned off the TV and punched a cushion of the couch. I could feel eyes staring at me.

I laid across the couch covering my face and fell asleep wanting to be someplace else with Two Bit.

I got up and walked to the kitchen it was still dark and nobody was awake. My body ached, probably because I was sleeping in an uncomfortable position. After I got my drink of water I went back to the couch.

Since I couldn't sleep I turned on the TV. Mickey was on of course. Since no one was around I could cry. Damn, I wish he was here. I stared into the TV until something caught my eye.

Two Bit was on the floor eating chocolate cake and drinking beer. He was laughing. Laughing at Mickey. "Two Bit!" I went to go give him a hug but he disappeared into thin air.

That's when I woke up for real. My face was sticky from my tears, my cheeks were red from everyone gathered around me staring, and my throat was dry. I could tell I was screaming in my sleep.

I looked at everyone's faces. I think they thought I was crazy. I turned over onto my stomach and stared into the cushion of the couch. Hopefully everyone left.

Instead I felt a body lay down next to me wrapping their legs and arms around me. It was a small body and I could tell it was Austin. I turned around and scooped him up in my arms.

So this is what it's like to have a kid brother. I could never know. I didn't have a family. Now this is my family. I just want Two Bit right here right now. I squeezed Austin for a second and loosened.

I prayed. Prayed for Two Bit to come back. I prayed to God over and over again expecting the door to burst open with Two Bit standing in the doorway.