Breathless: Chapter 5

"So I brought you here today to talk about Ponyboy..." I stated as Skye and I settled in our seats at The Dingo.

"Oh, the poor thing. He probably hates me, with Darry and I spending so much time together." Skye said guiltily but genuinely.

"About that, he doesn't hate you. I was just wondering if you could speak to Darry about the situation because I don't think that he's fully aware that Pony's feeling down about it. Don't worry, it's not your fault."

"Sure thing, doll." Skye smiled in her sweet accent. I excused myself because I was about to be late for work and it was time for my second plan to commence.

When I arrived at work Steve was already working in the garage and Ponyboy was there waiting just like how I told him to. The day went by and when the place was dead I decided to bring Sodapop up. "I remember on breaks Soda would always bring that nasty cherry cola and chug it like it's water." I laughed, "I'm going to go to the restroom."

What I was trying to do was bring up the subject about Soda and hopefully Steve and Pony would talk to each other while I left to go eavesdrop. The conversation was very predictable, "I sure miss him a whole lot." Steve mumbled sipping from his pop.

"Yeah, me too." Ponyboy agreed.

"You know when you'd always ask to hang out with us I wouldn't want you to come because I knew Sodapop would spend more time with you than me." Steve awkwardly admitted followed by a slight chuckle.

Ponyboy snapped his head up, "So you didn't really hate me?"

"Well, sort of... but now you're the closest thing I have to Soda."

"You're the closest thing I have to Soda." Pony smiled. They did that handshake hug thing and that's when I walked back into the room acting clueless. What a wonderful actress I was.

I stumbled upon them smiling at each other. Hopefully Ponyboy was feeling a bit better. He had more support and Darry should ease up on him. I was absolutely sure I was the best meddler on earth.

-Dallas' POV-

I've been longing for something. For action. I want to hunt for girls, parties, fight but I'm just not getting any of that. I mean I don't want to point a finger but it really is Elle that's making me want to change. I'm holding back for her.

I was at home by myself just thinking. Was it really worth it? Was it really worth changing myself entirely just for Elle? I mean, of course I really like her but I wasn't sure if I could give up who I was. It wasn't that simple.

Austin jumped on the couch next to me. I didn't know he was here and it startled me a bit. "Hey, bud." I said with a tired tone.

"What's wrong?" Austin questioned.

"Well, before your I fell in love with your mother I was the biggest, baddest, meanest guy in town. I'd jump people, get arrested, go out with tons of girls, and I hated kids. Except for you of course. Well, now Elle's scared that I'm going to play her like how I did with other girls. I know I won't but I always get that temptation. Like I could get drunk and hit on some girl and it would ruin everything between me and Elle. You dig?"

"Well, do you love her?" He questioned, "I mean truly love her?" I nodded in return.

"If you truly love someone you'd go to extremes, you'd do anything, for her. If you truly love Mom, you'd do this for her." He explained to me.

When I tucked Austin in that night I saw a wise soul. So smart and cunning for ten years old. I felt honoured to have him call me his father and I was going to make it my duty to raise him as a good person contrary to what I was. I wasn't only going to change for Elle, but for Austin also.

-----------------

Srry for the short and late chapter :c

I'm so sick.

Spoiler: Two Bit feels lonely

Update: Thursday cuz I'm going skiing

-----------------