Chapter 18

I've been spending lots of time with Ponyboy. I just hate to see him so upset about Sodapop. The funeral was in three days and Pony wasn't handling it well. Soda was the one he would talk to about his feelings but he ain't here no more so I'm gonna be his shoulder to cry on.

I've spent my nights on the couch of the Curtis house but would go to Pony's and Soda's bed because Pony would have nightmares. Me and him would watch sunsets together and talk about everything. I was real glad we became close.

The letter that Soda had me write before he died was to be read at the funeral. I was going to read it. Nobody had known about it yet and I thought it was only appropriate to read it at the funeral.

Everybody has taken Soda's death alright. Except for Pony, of course. I keep reminding them that Soda wouldn't want us to be sad because the only emotion Soda brought us was happiness. The gang is still grieving but I'm sure after the funeral things will start to become normal again.

I was sorta bummed out that I won't see Sodapop's crooked smile or hear his contagious laugh anymore. But I know he's always watching me and laughing at me when I trip over my own foot. He will always be with us.

My mother suddenly disappeared along with the Soc attacks. But I don't know, I think they're planning something. They took out Soda, who's next?

Today I had work. I walked to the DX and when I got there I yelled, "Soda? Wheres the... Oh..."

Soda not being here was so different. The days were slower, the shop was quieter. I really missed him. But I bet he's here with me blowing spitballs in my hair laughing his ass off. Oh Soda.

Johnny stopped by and we hung out and by the time my shift was done he wanted to take me out on a little date before I go to Bucks.

He blindfolded me and walked behind me with his arms around my waist. It was really cute. When he took off the blindfold we were standing in front of a little ice cream parlour.

I got chocolate and he got vanilla. We sat on the curb underneath the glimmering fairy lights hanging from the patio. He turned to me and I started laughing. He had ice cream on his upper lip! "Uh, saving that for later?" I asked through my giggles.

He raised an eyebrow and had a confused look on his face. Finally I wiped his face with a napkin. I finished giggling and he stared into my eyes. Time stopped. Space around us vanished. It was only us two. Staring into each others eyes.

He inched closer to me, ever so slowly until his lips came crashing down to mine. A hand on my cheek and another on my waist. Our lips were in sync. I felt butterflies in my stomach. My cheeks were burning red.

"Get outta here dirty greasers!" A man from the shop next door yelled and sprayed water at us like cats. We laughed and ran away shielding our faces from the water he was spraying at us.

We stopped by at the park and sat on the swings like we always do. Our conversation was interrupted by the loud honking of a mustang. Socs...

-Soda's POV-

Death isn't all bad as it seems. Yeah, I do miss the gang and all but up here there's no Socs, no Greasers just people. Good people. There's no more fighting and it's really peaceful.

When I walked up, the ones waiting for me at the gate were my parents. At least I'll be with them. As an angel, I get to be a guardian for anybody but only one person at a time. Right now, Pony really needs a guardian angel.

He's hurting real bad. Worse than when mom and dad died. I've been giving him strength but the grieve still overpowers it a bit. I'm keeping him from going to the path of depression. Thank goodness for Elle. She's helping Pony a lot, too.

Oh gosh, Elle and Johnny are in trouble!

-Elle's POV-

"Get outta here, haven't you done enough damage?" I yelled pissed while lighting a cig. Bob and Randy chuckled while flicking out their switchblades.

"Leave us alone!" Johnny yelled while we both flicked out our switchblades. It was two against two. Bob came charging at me but I kicked the knife out of his hands.

Johnny copied my kick and disarmed Randy. I punched Bob in the stomach and when he doubled over I soccer kicked him in the face making him go flying back. When I look over, Johnny's stomping on Randy's face.

We started laughing and high-fiving each other."Wow Johnny, I didn't know you had it in you!"

He laughed, "Me neither!"

We walked over to the Curtis house and the gang was there. I saw Dallas, Steve, Two Bit, and a guy with really long hair? They were playing poker on the table. They dude with long hair turned around. It was a girl!

"Who's the broad?" I asked imitating Dally's low, husky voice from the day we met.