Chapter 16

-Elle's POV-

I was awoken by a panicked shouting. The whole gang was frantic. I thought to myself, what in the hell could possibly happen at two o'clock in the morning? I was still achy and super tired. Everybody was awake but Soda still wasn't here.

I laid back down because I was way too tired. I felt somebody pick me up bridal style and I squinted my eyes to see Johnny. I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face in his chest. We were squished in a car now.

When I felt awake I asked, "Can somebody tell me what's going on?"

"Soda called. He didn't sound too good. He said something about the border of Soc and Greaser Territory so that's where were headed." Darry said, worry filled his voice even though he tried to hide it.

I was sitting on Johnny's lap and I turned to look up at him, he planted a kiss on my nose and smiled down at me. I don't know what it is about him that I just love so much.

We were searching and searching going up and down the Ribbon-it's a strip of stores and hot dog stands near the Soc and Greaser territory border-and finally found someone near a pay phone passed out on the pavement. There was a red stain on the ground around him. Soda.

Darry ran out first and carried Soda into the back. We rushed off to the hospital. I took a look at Soda. He was pale and he had cuts and bruises on his face. It was clear that he got into a fight. I glanced down at his shirt and gasped.

He was stabbed. There was a big red stain on his left side. The knife was still jammed in. I grabbed his hand, he was cold. He still had a pulse but he was barely breathing. We finally got to the ER and the doctors took him away.

Darry and Pony chased after him but it was no use. The rest of us sat in the waiting room. Two Bit sat on a bench and I laid down next to him with my head on his lap. I missed everybody a lot since my coma.

When I closed my eyes I started rethinking everything. The letter, the car crash, the coma, Soda getting stabbed... It all fell into place. My mom got the Socs working for her.

The Socs crashed the car putting me in a coma to die. My mom wanted me dead. She wanted to hurt my friends. Soda. The Socs hurt Soda. My mom hurt Soda.

She was out to get everyone I loved. Johnny, Two Bit, and Dallas especially. She's been watching me. She's been watching all of us through the Socs. The Socs are her eyes, her ears. They're spying on us. I could feel it.

I fell asleep wondering if there was someplace. No Socs, no Greasers, just regular people. Hell, we all are just people.

-Johnny's POV-

I really felt for Pony. He and Soda were two peas in a pod. I was trying to empathize for Pony but I was overcome by a wave of anger. Jealousy.

Elle has been spending more time with Two Bit then me. He's stealing her away from me. Nobody could love her more than me. I stared over at them. She was sleeping. Her face looked younger and her features were flawless. Her face looked calm and not stressed for once. She was just so...perfect. My perfect little darlin'.

Two Bit ain't gonna stop me from getting to her. She's mine now I beat Dal and Soda fair and square. Two ain't even part of it. I started thinking about the letter Elle got.

P.S you better watch those boyfriends of yours.

Two things were bothering me. One, her mother was out to get Elle and me. Two, the word boyfriends instead of boyfriend. I think she was referring to Two Bit! See! He is trying to steal her from me! No sir, not on my watch. Ain't nobody gonna steal my precious darlin'.

I stood up angrily and went outside with Dally to smoke. I told him about Elle spending more time with Two Bit than me. He simply said, "Well no shit, they live together."

That was part of it, too. They lived together. I wish we lived together. Only I don't have my own place and neither does she. I live in the damn lot. I ain't sleeping outside no more. Them Socs are working for her mom and she wants us all dead.

I'll figure it out. We'll spend more time together and she'll spend less time with Two Bit. I couldn't stand losing Elle. She's all I ever wanted and she's all I ever needed.