Fearless: Chapter 7

-Elle's POV-

They put me in my cell. It was cold. The floor was hard, the mattress squeaky. The walls were plain and it felt like I was living in a black and white world other than my bright orange outfit.

The most disgusting thing about the tiny space was the silver toilet sitting in the corner. All rusty and smelly. Overall it was just lonesome.

I was with a dude that was super paranoid and scared. He looked mentally unstable and rocked back and forth on his bed which made head-pounding squeaking sounds. The man was staring at the wall like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

As I lay on the cold, hard mattress everything came swirling in my mind like a hurricane. The gang, Mary, getting arrested, Johnny, Soda. Soda, everything's different without him. The feeling is hard to describe but it's like we're always one person short.

I wonder how everyone's taking this, i mean me getting arrested. Especially Johnny. He gets pretty, how do I put this, emotional. Especially when it comes to me.

But the feeling is mutual. He literally is half of me and I'm half of him. We make up each other. If he's hurting, I'm hurting.

Mary. She called the cops on me for punching her in the face. That little twat. When I get outta jail I'm gon-wait. When I get outta jail, I have to go back to my legal guardian. I have to go back to Mary?!?

-Dallas' POV-

Me and big ol' Darry were talking to the sheriffs at the police station about Elle. They were pretty much saying that she'll probably get out a month earlier or so for good behaviour. But the thing that caught my attention was that she has to stay with her legal guardian. That was Mary.

The guards escorted us out and we walked to the car. I remembered that Darry didn't know a lot of stuff because he wasn't in the court room. So I told him how she got stabbed and how Soda healed her. I didn't get any further into the story because he made this weird sound when I mentioned Soda. It sounded like he choked back a sob.

"Aw, Darry. I'm sorry man, I forgot." He nodded and gestured for me to continue on the story. So I did. I told him about Two and Mrs. Mathews. He had a firm face but I could see in his eyes that he was quite hurt. Man, this guy was as tough as me.

When we got home everyone was talking but had nervous expressions on their faces. I explained to them everything from the stabbing, to the arrest, to the legal guardian situation. Then I noticed Johnny wasn't here. "Um where's Johnny?"

"He kinda ran out. We tried looking for him, swear." Aj spoke up. I simply nodded knowing he was gonna be okay. Right now we had to figure out how we can get Elle out of Mary's hands after she gets out of jail.

"Sorry guys I can't adopt her." Darry shrugged. I understand though. He's still getting over Soda and he has to take care of Ponyboy. Right now, he isn't able to feed another mouth.

Darry got us on the right path though. Adoption. One of us will have I adopt her. Mrs. Mathews and Two Bit are off the list. So is Darry. Which leaves me or Steve. The answer was clear. "I'll adopt her," I mumbled.

"What?" Darry asked.

"I'll adopt her," I spoke louder.

"I heard you the first time but Dallas, c'mon now. You'll have to go to court and fight for custody. I mean, you aren't exactly on good terms with the law and sheriffs. You are a JD for goodness sake."

"I have a month don't I? I can change in that month. I will change. For Elle." My voice was starting to rise but I calmed when I neared the end. Darry simply nodded in return.

I went out with Aj to look for Johnny. It was silent but it gave me time to think about what was happening. No more Mr. Bad Guy for an entire month. I have to stay sober, stay outta trouble, clean up my place, maybe even get my own little apartment for us, I have to get a job. Man, this girl is making me change. But I'm not complaining.

Sure it's gonna be hard and all but I have to do it for my little girl. Well she's only a year younger than I am but I still see her as my kid sister. She can't go back to that witch of a mother.

Aj snapped me out of my train of thought and she asked why I was so tense. I hadn't noticed that my grip on the steering wheel was so tight that my knuckles were as white as a ghost. I shrugged it off and acted like nothing was wrong.

I pulled into the vacant lot to find Johnny covered in newspapers sleeping. I woke him up and we started driving to the Curtis house. I began telling Johnny everything and the adoption plan. But right when I said it he screamed, "HELL NO YOU ARE NOT LIVING WITH MY GIRLFRIEND!"