Chapter 11

I haven't talked to Sodapop since we bailed him out which was three days ago. I asked Buck and Steve if I could change my work schedule to Tuesday-Thursday because I was getting really tired and they didn't seem to have a problem with it. Plus, I wanted to spend more time with Johnny.

Things have gotten real quiet ever since the Soda getting arrested incident. He's no longer trying to act like a bad boy anymore. I mean, he's Sodapop in body but not in soul. His cheery spirit isn't there anymore. This took a toll on Ponyboy and Steve. Which also affected Johnny and Darry. Seeing Johnny upset makes me upset, too. And if I'm upset, Dallas and Two Bit are also.

I hate seeing the gang all depressed. Two Bit's not making any jokes and Dallas isn't hunting for action. The people I love are a mess and I realized it was because of me. If I hadn't told off Soda then he wouldn't be depressed and that domino effect wouldn't have happened.

I started this shit hole and I was going to end it. It kills me to know if I hadn't even had come here nothing would have happened. I got in my DX uniform and made my way to the gas station.

When I got in, Soda was on the counter staring into space and Steve's legs were sticking out from under a car. I sat beside Soda and gathered enough courage to say something, "I'm so sorry Soda. I was being so rude to you at the police station and I never should have said that. I really hate to see everyone depressed and it makes me feel like shit knowing it's all my fault. I'm tearing the gang apart. Please, I don't know how to make it better. I just want everyone to get back to normal but I just have to start here. Sodapop Patrick Curtis, I know you're in there somewhere and I need your help. Please, I don't want things to be like this."

By then, my head was in between my knees and I was bawling. Soda rested a hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see his crooked grin. I laughed and hugged him tightly. "And Soda? Don't be upset or anything but Johnny and I are dating. I know you'll find someone better than me who will treat you right."

He just nodded and smiled again. The hurt in his eyes faded away and the real Sodapop started to come back. Hopefully, the domino effect will undo. Since Soda's okay then Ponyboy and Steve will be okay which means Darry and Johnny will be okay which means I will be okay which means Dallas and Two Bit will be okay! Everything will be okay.

I went over to Buck's early to hang out with Dallas. We were talking about phobias up in his room. I told him my secret phobia as long as he told his. I'm actually scared of the name of my phobia but we all have to deal with them sometimes.

"Dallas, try not to laugh but my phobia is called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. The fear of long words."

He was trying so hard not to laugh but let out a little chuckle at the irony.

"Okay, okay my turn. My phobia is called peladophobia, the fear of bald people." He sighed.

I started laughing at him and he started laughing at me. He also told me that Two Bit has arachnophobia, the fear of spiders. Maybe I'll play a little trick on all of them on Halloween. We started talking about everyone else's phobias. Pony was scared of worms, Darry was scared of frogs, Soda was scared of becoming ugly, Steve was scared of puking, and Johnny was scared of heights. Dallas and I were going to plan pranks on all of them someday.

We went downstairs to the bar for my shift. Dallas helped me out because it was getting really busy. Out of the blue, Twinkle Toes, Pretty Pants, and Bubby Bear walk in and come up to the counter. The place went silent and the music stopped. All the Greasers stood and stared angrily at the Socs.

Buck came out furious and he got right up in the Socs faces. "You listen her bud, you better get out of my place before all these Greasers take a pounding on all three of you." He spat at Twinkle Toes.

"Oh, we'll be out in a second. We just wanted to talk to the feisty one over there." He flicked his head towards me while Dallas shielded the Socs view of me with his body.

"You ain't gonna touch her and you sure as hell ain't gonna talk to her!" Dallas yelled in his thick New York accent.

"Fine, but at least give her this." He tossed Dallas a letter and they all walked out the door. I asked Buck if I could go on break and Dallas and I went upstairs with the strange envelope.

To Elle Greene,

I know where you went. Your father killed himself. I'm upset you ran away. I hate you and I hope you don't come back. I want you dead, too. He's gone because of you. I still loved him. I will get my revenge. I have people to get you. The people that will give this to you. I'm always watching, Elle.

Mother

P.S you better watch those boyfriends of yours.