Pre-prologue

He crashed down the street as if it depended on his life. But it did. His life depended right now on whether he made the slightest little wrong choice. The sky was clear and the big full moon shone brightly above his head. The gleam could be seen in all the closed shop windows. The street was completely empty of people besides the hunting group. He looked behind himself over his shoulder but startled saw that they had almost caught up with him.

"Hey, come back here!"

He exerted himself and set the pace even faster. His feet burned beneath him, and he heaved like never before for his breath. There was no escape route and he just kept going straight directed, all the time with half an eye watching over his shoulder. But as a pure instinct, he turned into a sideway, threatened by the too-open area. Never in his entire 17-year long life had he made a worse decision.

He turned his upper body around and looked for the group behind him, but they were gone. Immediately, he stopped and leaned forward with his hands resting on his knees, gasping for air. Drops of sweat had gathered on his forehead, and his red-golden hair was sticking to his skin. He was already tired out, and he slowly sat down against one of the house walls. He leaned his head back and closed his eyes. All his senses were stunned by exhaustion. He did not hear them. A hard violent grip took hold of him and pulled him up to stand. He closed his eyes in fright, and fear laid like a blanket around him. With wide-open eyes, he stared into the bright yellow eyes that had surrounded him. Barring teeth were to be seen everywhere. A hard shove pushed him into the wall and it gave an uncomfortable crack in his back. He scrunched his face and tried to stay standing on his wobbly legs. A growl caught his attention and he slowly raised his gaze. Something reminiscent of half a wolf and half a human now stood face to face with him. And the creature was angry. He swallowed with his dry throat and just stared up at it. Where is he when I really need him?! A painful suddenly sensation pierced through his one shoulder and he collapsed, screaming in pain.

🔥