Chapter 43

The hand struck midnight on the clock above a table next to the bedroom you and Germany shared. He played with your hair as you peacefully slept beside him. He couldn't sleep without having a feeling like something horrible was about to occur. He was on high alert, his tiredness gone, adrenaline ready to start pumping, and energy fueled fully. He pulled you close and cradled you in his arms, his sense of danger growing by the minute. He considered the fact that it could be his paranoia, which relieved him a little bit, but after shutting his eyes several times wanting to sleep, his body wouldn't let him rest until this supposed threat was no longer here. 

He heard two pairs of footsteps walking toward the bedroom door, which he thought was going to stop once they reached it, but they went on, passing by the room and going further into the hallway. He sighed and tilted his head to look at you. He gently tucked a tuft of hair behind your ear and lifted you up, kissing your forehead. He set you back on his lap, holding you protectively like he was before. The feeling of danger still hasn't gone away and it bothered and worried him a lot. He stared at the bottom of the door, checking for any shadows underneath. 

There was none.

Germany powered up his cybernetic eye, scanning the area for any potential threats. The results revealed that no threats were anywhere nearby, but he didn't trust the analytics that he received. He trusted his gut feeling and continued to stay up for your safety and his own. Every so often he would scan the area for any enemies, but it still showed the same exact results he got the first time. Finally, after an hour, he chose to try and fall asleep again. He placed you back onto the mattress, but he still held you close just in case there was a breach in the building. He shut his eyes and buried his face into your back, but a second later, an alarm rang. 

Your eyes shot open and you rolled over, seeing that Germany was already up on his feet and reaching his hands out to you.

"What's going on?" You asked tiredly.

"I don't know, but it is probably a break in." He answered, picking you up bridal style. "Possibly not even that and maybe something minor like a small fire, but I am not taking a risk." 

The door collapsed, Tennessee and New Mexico rushing in with weapons. The panic and fear can be seen through their facial expressions.

"There has been a sighting of Third Reich by the east side of the building. We have to get you both to safety before he somehow breaches through our system." New Mexico said.

Germany followed the states into the hallway where other states were leading your friends to a safer location. You had a bad feeling in your stomach, the same sense that Germany had. Sooner or later something bad is going to happen, and right now you are both mentally and physically preparing yourselves for what is to come in the near future. 

The ground rumbled and the building shook, tripping over a couple countries and states, but nothing else happened after that. The states moved forward and continued toward the haven where you will all be protected while this situation is being dealt with. 

"If he's here, then that means Canada must be here too." You told Germany, gaining his attention. "You know how easily he can find us if Canada is with him. Remember that NATO explained to us that Canada can track us down just by sinking into the ground on one side of this planet and reappearing on the other side in less than a few seconds?"

The country nodded. "I believe that they already know this, but just in case I will tell them."

The states lead you into a huge room with tables, chairs, and many other items. The lights were switched on.

You asked if this was the safe place you and your friends will be staying, but New York shook his head. 

Suddenly, the wall to your left exploded, chunks of rubble flew toward all of you, but everyone flipped a table over and used it as a shield. As soon as the pieces of material stopped falling like hail from the sky, South Dakota poked his head out and saw the one and only evil man himself. He slowly turned his head to the right, scouting carefully for any states or countries.

"What are we going to do?" You whispered to Tennessee.

She thought of a few outcomes. "One, we risk getting caught by swiftly moving behind one table to the next, or two, we wait for him to leave." 

"We can't wait. He's soon going to start searching for us." Germany said. "We have to keep moving forward or—."

"No." You cut him off. "Let's wait a little bit and see what he'll do next. If he starts searching for us, then we move."

"Alright." New Mexico peeked over the table, immediately ducking back down. "He's facing the opposite direction. I think he's leaving."

"Or he's tricking us." You said. "He knows that we're here, he's just trying to get us to reveal our positions so he could act like he didn't see or hear us. Trust me, I've been with him a lot and I've studied his tactics throughout that time."

Germany agreed with you. "I think so too. My brother is one annoying and destructive bastard."

"Not to mention creepy and—"

Suddenly, the lights flickered and the bulbs were shattered into pieces. Germany covered your mouth as you almost screamed. The room remained silent for a while until you felt the table in front of you being lifted off the floor. You, Germany, Tennessee, and New Mexico tilted your heads upward to see a pair of red glowing eyes.