Chapter 14

The singing voice of a female echoed throughout the small camp, the sky lighting up clear blue signaling that it was now the next day. You folded the last piece of clothing and were now on your way to distribute them to the different countries and states in the camp. You reached the door and stretched your hand out to grab at the doorknob, but it swung open the opposite direction, revealing New Zealand.

"New Zealand? I thought that you were getting ready to leave with the rest of the group." You said, confused as to why he was here. He was supposed to be readying himself to dispatch toward Reich's place.

The country stuffed his hands into his pockets and shrugged. He stepped out of the way and let you exit the room.

"I chose to not go because all I'd be is the person holding everybody back. Besides, I don't think I'm fit for battle." He looked down at the wooden floor in shame.

"Aw, Kiwi..." You opened your arms out for him. "Come here."

New Zealand collapsed into your arms and buried his face into your shoulder. You could feel him shaking and hear him let out a little whimper.

"There, there..." You rubbed his back in circles. "You might think that all you'd be is a person holding everybody back, but I don't think you are."

You pulled away and stared into his eyes with a warm smile.

"If America were here right now, he'd be proud of how far you've made it. Heck, if your whole family were here, they would all be very proud of you. You are strong, New Zealand, even if you don't think you are."

The male wiped a tear away and sniffed, a small and happy smile forming on his face.

He sighed. "I just really miss my brothers."

"You won't remember this because Reich removed your memories, but you and your brothers would always joke around and stand up for each other. Even when you guys fought, you would always look out for one another. Britain and France had to deal with your guys' shenanigans. It was hilarious."

"Heh, it sounded like we were a handful."

You giggled. "You really were. I remember when you used to prank Aussie and Canada a lot with America."

"Pranks? Wow." Kiwi glanced off to the side.

"Mostly every single month, actually. You guys were doing it so often that we declared that every year in the middle of July we would do a little prank war for one full day."

"Now that sounds like fun."

"Yup! We would all gather up, separate into our families, then run off to our stations." You explained. "When America sounded the horn, it began. For one whole day, just running around trying to avoid getting hit water balloons or tripping over a wire, which led to slime pouring onto you. You guys were so creative with your pranks."

The country imagined how it was like in the past with everyone having fun outside, being free without any threats.

"Anyways," You held the wide basket full of clothing, "I need to hand these out. Do you mind helping me out, Kiwi?"

"I don't mind at all." He took some pieces of clothing from the basket.

...

Wiping the sweat off your forehead, you set the basket down and sat down upon the bed. New Zealand did the same, leaning back slightly as he took a drink of water.

"It is hot out there." Kiwi fanned himself with his hand.

You nodded, agreeing with his statement.

"Well, the team has gone off now and we are stuck here until they either return or call us for help." You stretched out your limbs, hearing a couple of cracks coming from your arms and legs.

"Hopefully they beat the life outta Reich. I would like for everything to go back to the way it was before."

"Everybody does. The way everything used to be back then was so much better than this hellhole."

"I mean, duh." New Zealand said.

You laughed along with your countryhuman friend.

Heavy footsteps approached the door and the doorknob was soon twisted. The door opened, revealing Germany with a few blankets in his arms.

"Honey, why do you have blankets?" You asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"We have to prepare ourselves for the winter. Right now I am handing out blankets to everybody."

"But winter isn't coming anytime soon. We still have quite a while." New Zealand said.

"Yes, but we have to get ourselves ready extra early. Who knows, winter might come earlier than expected this year. The weather is weird." The German explained.

"Well, it's never bad to get prepared too early." You turned your head over to Kiwi.

"I guess so." He said.

"Would you guys please help me hand these out?" Germany asked, setting the blankets down on the bed.

"Sure! Let us rest first, though. We just finished distributing-"

A loud explosion echoed from the outside into the insides of the wooden buildings, afterwards screams erupting out of other countries and state's mouths.

You stood up, but Germany immediately demanded you to sit down.

"Stay here, liebling." Your boyfriend commanded, turning his attention to New Zealand. "You stay here with her too. Keep her safe."

"Got it!" Kiwi nodded.

Germany rushed out of the room and out the door and into the outside world. His eyes widened as he witnessed states and countries being knocked down.

They have found them.

But how?

How did they manage to do so?

The country shook his head. He started to panic. Little bits of fire spread from one area to another.

He glanced around until he made eye contact with his one and only brother.

"Reich..." Germany glared at him.

"Germany!" Third Reich exclaimed happily. "I have finally found you!"

"How are you here? Who told you we were here!?" Germany questioned him with a serious tone of voice.

Third Reich chuckled evilly and grinned sinisterly.

"Thank FBI and Spain for that, brother.~"