Chapter 34

Erica's POV

The heavens had opened up and showed no end of stopping as I was walked through the empty field. I had decided to come alone for some reason today and I was already regretting it.

My pace slowed as I approached lot 142, my legs gave way as well as my self control. The tears began to spill as I read the engravement,

Claire Anne Sullivan-Mitchell

1974 - 2012

A mother, a wife, a friend

You will never be forgotten

My chest released a sob that was drowned by the sound of the rain. I brought my jacket closer to my body trapping as much body heat as I could. Beside Mum's grave was another that meant to much to me.

Veronica Jade Elton

1994 - 2011

Most beautiful heart and soul

Gone Too Soon

My heart tore as the sight of her cold, lifeless body flashed through my mind. It was an image that could never be erased from my mind.

I had personally made sure that Mum's grave was placed directly beside hers, so they could be together in their final resting place.

Ronnie was like my twin sister and was a second daughter to my mother. Beside Ronnie's tombstone was a newer stone that I had never seen before. The words engraved were some that I never thought I'd see here at home.

Damien James Mitchell

1972 - 2012

A father, a husband, a friend

Served his country until the end

I frowned through my tears mixed with rain drops. Leaning against the cement was a small envelope within a plastic bag; cautiously I lifted the bag and saw that it had been addressed to me. The handwriting wasn't familiar so I had no clue to whom it was from. At that exact moment the rain let up and came to a halt leaving me in the freezing wind.

I sat on the cold, wet grass and opened the envelope and was suddenly showered in glitter that instantly stuck to my wet skin. Ignoring the sticky glitter I opened the letter and instantly recongised the handwriting within.

My beautiful Erica,

I don't think you know this but you talk in your sleep. When we first landed in London, that night you were sleep talking well more arguing. You were fighting with a man to have your Father's grave place beside your best friend Veronica's so she would be protected from either side by the people she looked up to as parents. So I did everything I could to make sure that your father's body was laid to rest in Brisbane beside Veronica and near his beloved Claire.

You have no idea how much I love you Ezzy. That day I met you was one of the greatest days of my life, apart from the fact I spat roast chicken across the table. Such a waste of a good chicken. But the first minute I laid eyes on you I was smitten. Your beautiful green eyes caught me, made my heart freeze in pure adoration. You were grinning like a small child at an amusement park; I couldn't help but fall for you my dear.

Though what we went through on The Carolina affected us in mostly bad ways, I feel like those few months were more bearable having you with me. I always thought that I would never find my princess that I would end up forever alone. But that day I met you I hanged that idea, I thought that maybe I would have a chance to get the girl, not that I'm saying you're a person to be won. And I got you, and I'm so glad I did because you are the best thing that has ever happened to me.