Chapter 26

Erica’s POV

I stood on the loading ramp watching as all the other passengers ran into the arms of their loved ones.

I was just standing there, all on my own as Niall ran into the arms of his Mum and his brother. Tears welled up in my eyes; I would never be able to run into my mother’s arms like that again.

My eyes widened, the note! I opened my carry bag and pulled out the note from my mum that I found in my dress the night of my first date with Niall. I found the envelope tucked into my notebook of song lyrics and poems that Mum wrote.

I looked up to see that no one was looking at me, so I took this as my chance to sneak off. I walked several hundred meters and sat on the edge of the pier with my legs hanging aimlessly over the edge.

I carefully opened the envelope and found my Mum’s handwriting scrawled across the slightly faded paper. There was dried blood on the paper.  Her beautiful cursive was written in a crisp black biro.

My dearest Erica,

If you’re reading this, then something must have happened to me. Let me explain,

This morning, July 13th, I received a message from my old friend Kendall telling me that if I didn’t meet with him he would come after you. I would NEVER let him touch you so I left to meet him. I told you I was heading in to work so you didn’t worry. I met with him in town at Starbucks to speak with him. He told me he wanted me back, that’s why he got Alex to split up with me. Apparently he never cheated; he was PAID to break up with me.  I was angry. I slapped him and left. He obviously wasn’t too happy with my reaction.

He ran out after me telling me I would regret my decision. I’m not sure what he means by this. I left this envelope on the passenger seat of the car so in case something did happen to me, someone would find this letter and hopefully give it to you, which I assume happened if you’re reading this. I left a sticky note on the front instructing them to place it inside the dress I bought you yesterday to wear to your prom after party.

This man Kendall is the man who told your father about Alex and I, that’s why we split. He and I were actually divorced; we just didn’t know how to tell you. I’m so glad that you chose to stay and live with me instead of leaving to live on The Carolina. After spending so much time away from your Father, it felt like we weren’t together at all.

That’s why I had the affair. I’m so thankful that you weren’t angry with me when I told you. It meant so much to me that you listened to my reasoning. I expected you to pack you things and leave for the ship.

Kendall is my ex-fiancé. When I met your Father I was on a family holiday and he discovered I was in an arranged marriage with Kendall. I couldn’t stand him but he was desperately in love with me. I fell in love with Damien and he fell in love with me. He made an agreement with my father that I would marry him as long as he never broke my heart, never hurt me. The engagement was broken and he and I were married. But Kendall never forgave me for leaving him. He promised that he would get me back, no matter what it took.

He was a drunken, forever coming home drunk and treated me terribly. I couldn’t stand being around him. He was a very controlling person, if something didn’t go his way, he would do everything he could to make it go his way. I was scared but he was never that way around my Father. He was a family friend of ours and his family were big into arranged marriage, so dad made a deal with them. I never found out what the deal was. We were engaged for a year before I met your father. We were to married 2 months later, but I broke off the engagement. 

Promise me that if he comes anywhere near you, you go straight to your father and get away from the mainland. I am scared to think of what he would do to you to get his revenge.