Chapter 43 - Joshua

It was only around half an hour until the first signs of something wrong were starting to filter through the atmosphere, Sam listened intently at the door relaying some scuffling sounds and things falling over in the distance.

"its in the distance but I can hear chairs and tables moving"

"Zombies" I asked a little elated

"I don't know"

Sam put his hear back to the door but he didn't need too I heard it too, gunfire, followed by screams and growls.

Zombies

The noises got louder followed by shouting and more gunfire, Sam opened the door to look, I caught a glimpse through the crack as it opened, our room on a balcony overlooking the lobby and reception area where others were camping, zombies were everywhere crashing through the tents and biting everyone in their path as some slept and others tried to fight them off before turning themselves and joining the madness.

Sam slammed the door shut immediately "the window we've got to go" he pulled my arm hard towards the window opening it frantically but it had a stupid lock preventing it opening too far, after all it was a hotel and they had put locks on the windows to prevent people jumping out, but now it was preventing us from getting out.

I picked the metal chair up as Sam equally was looking for something sturdy and large, it took three loud cracks as the glass before it finally shattered the noise now attracting the horde of undead outside out door now banging loudly.

"we can just jump, it's the 1st floor" I said to so as we looked over the edge of the window onto the grass below.

Sam knocked the remainder of the glass out the bottom of the window frame and dangled himself down before dropping to the grass.

"come on" he cried impatiently as I followed him down.

My feet touched the grass and we were now running around the building back to our car, my head still swimming in the whiskey I had drunk.

Gun fire erupted from outside as some of the colony residents were also making their escape, firing back into the horde of zombies now spilling out the hotel, many leaping through the window we had just come from into a twisted mess on the floor before pursuing their nearest meal.

Thankfully Sam and I were not the closest and we continued around the side of the building to the parking lot, zombies and colony residents spilling out of every doorway and crashing through windows trying to get their next meal.

This was not how it was supposed to happen.

We ran up to a parked pickup a former resident sat upright, he was bitten but still putting up a fight as I wrestled the automatic gun from him, the veins in his skin getting more pronounced by the second and his eyes going the familiar milky white

Sam kicked him in the chest which finally meant he released his grip, letting a round off into his head I then aimed the gun at the advancing zombies taking down three or four of them, the gun fired in quick succession its wooded stock hammering into my shoulder with every shot.

"this way" Sam shouted rounding the back of the pick up, more and more zombies spilled into the parking lot and the gun fire intensified, across the other side was a couple of other survivors making a decent dent into the oncoming zombies

It was only when we reach the next row of cars I realised who it was in the distance in the dark, and equally he realised the same firing shots into the row of parked cars.

"you fucking did this" Jaspers voice boomed above the chaos followed by more metallic pings into the row of cars as Sam and I ducked behind the tyres.