10. Hidden Truth and Lies

Mikael was surprised to see Sienna sitting out on a veranda when he left the library, twenty minutes after Celeste and Calden had stormed off. He joined her quietly. She scooted over, making room for him on the marble bench. Mikael settled his wings over the back of it.

"I'm sorry," Sienna sighed. "I was going to come back soon and help you a while longer."

"Don't worry about it. Calden and Celeste already left."

"I know. I heard them go. What happened?"

"Calden called her out on her behavior." Mikael recalled what he could remember of the argument and briefly explained it to Sienna.

"It's true," Sienna said cautiously when he'd finished. "Ever since her sister died, Celeste has been flighty and detached. But it's not like she purposely tries to do things like that. Part of it is a coping mechanism and the other part is just who she is."

Mikael nodded. "I'm sure they'll apologize to each other, and you, later. And I'm sorry I brought up Morai in front of them."

"It's all right. You couldn't have known it would spiral into this." Sienna propped her elbows up on her knees and rested her chin in her palms. Her wings were extended and slack over the back of the bench.

"You know, you don't have to be ashamed or embarrassed if there is something else going on between you two," Mikael said hesitantly. "You don't have to hide things from us."

Sienna pursed her lips. "I know. And it's not you guys I want to hide this from. Truthfully..." she began working her hands together. Mikael waited in silence until she continued. "I've never met Morai, but I've seen her a few times and I know she's seen me. I don't know why, but I can't keep my eyes off her when she's around."

"Why haven't you introduced yourself?"

"Because then I would have to make a choice. One that I'm not sure I'm ready for. I'd have to choose if I want to be her friend...or something more." Sienna glanced at him, her green eyes swimming with anxiety. "I've never openly expressed my interest in females, but...they do catch my eye more than males."

"You're good at hiding it."

Sienna looked away. "I have to be. I don't want to hide it. Not from any of you, or from myself, but..." She swallowed hard. "You know how my family is. We aren't close. We hardly spend time together. But I know that if I make this choice, I'll lose whatever affection my parents have for me completely. They're my family. I don't want to lose them."

"It would be hard, but isn't it harder to deny yourself?" Mikael asked. Sienna didn't reply. "You'll have to make a choice someday. Your true family will love and support you, no matter what you decide."

Sienna gave him a small smile. "Thanks."

He nudged her with an elbow. "Come on. I could use a drink and maybe a flight."

"It's been a long time since I've seen you try to fly while drunk," Sienna laughed. "We should race."

"It's been just as long since you challenged me to a race. I was starting to think you no longer see me as good competition."

"Maybe you're not."

"I'm going to prove you wrong." Mikael stood, offering Sienna a hand. She took it and followed him back into the Palace, her smile looking a little brighter than before.

◦═══✦═══◦

She was back on Ramiel. Nameless. Faceless. Just an echo of someone who had once been. But an echo that could still feel. An echo whose heart broke as her mate fell to his death, wings bound in ashwood chains. An echo who screamed and wept and cried his name.