40. One Life for Two

Venelia was growing weaker by the day. They could hardly convince her to eat or drink anything. Estelle didn't blame her. Their water was usually brown and filthy. The food quality had dropped significantly once more.

She was finding it difficult to force herself to eat and drink too. It seemed like everything she consumed came right back up. No one questioned her, but they all did their best to make sure she ate or drank something again after she'd calmed down.

Estelle stroked Venelia's hair, eyeing her friend nervously. Venelia's skin had lost its sun kissed glow. There were dark circles under her hazy emerald eyes. Her cheeks had taken on a hollow look. Her cough was worse and her fever was eating her up. She was beginning to resemble the version of herself from Estelle's nightmare.

Venelia shivered, hugging her arms tighter around herself. Estelle tucked a wing over her shoulders. Evren, Elain, and Cresseida were asleep, their soft snores filling the room. The metal door grated open. Estelle heard Wynter's soft footsteps before she saw him.

There was a vacant look in his eye as he pulled loose damp hair out of his face and tied it at the nape of his neck. "How is she?" He asked, gesturing to Venelia. His voice was hoarse and he cleared his throat.

"Not good," Estelle replied. "There was blood when she coughed today."

"Did she eat anything?"

"Not a bite."

"Did you?" Wynter arched an eyebrow.

Estelle averted her gaze. She'd been trying to hide her nausea from Wynter, but there had been times when it overwhelmed her and she couldn't stop herself from throwing up. Wynter was smart. She was certain he'd pieced everything together, just as she and the others had.

"Estelle?" Wynter urged.

"Yes, I managed to eat a little. You don't need to worry about me."

"You're my friend's mate. I worry for his sake as well as yours." His throat bobbed as he crouched, brushing two fingers across Venelia's forehead. Estelle didn't like the look of resignation that filled his icy gaze.

Venelia's eyes fluttered open. She stared right at Wynter, but didn't seem to see him. "Ven?" Estelle nudged her with an elbow.

"I'm on fire," Venelia rasped.

"It's just your fever. You'll be cold again in a moment. Stay under my wing," Estelle ordered as Venelia attempted to push it aside.

"I'll burn you." Venelia pushed her wing away, then paused, spying the manacles around her wrists. She cocked her head, shoulders shaking with the force of a cough. "Do you think I could melt my chains off?"

"Why don't you try?" Estelle replied. She touched Venelia's shoulder and guided her back beneath her wing. "But stay here while you do it."

Venelia's breathing was labored. "I'm so hot, Estelle." She blinked rapidly, her eyes crossing briefly. "I think I'm going blind."

"She's delirious," Wynter said.

"You're not going blind. Uncross your eyes," Estelle sighed. Venelia closed her eyes, then opened them. They were uncrossed.

"I'm sorry." Venelia touched her forehead. "I don't feel like myself anymore." She leaned forward, discarding Estelle's wing again. "Why is it so hot in here?"

Wynter touched Venelia's wrist, then slid his hand up her arm. She gave a sigh of relief. He clenched his jaw, cupping her cheek in his other hand. "What are you doing?" Estelle asked.