33. Not a Chance

Estelle was frozen in horror as Melantha watched her. The Witch did not speak, but her black eyes glittered. She strode forward and the creatures holding Elain bowed. Melantha tucked a talon-like nail beneath Elain's chin, tilting her head from side to side.

    "So you are the Seer," she said. Her voice was lilting and ominous. Beautiful, but...wrong. "Well, you are not at all what I expected."

    Mikael, Melantha is here, Estelle said. Hurry. Please hurry. I think she knows I'm here.

    Nyx is about to winnow us to you.

    "But you..." Melantha lifted her head and seemed to stare at Estelle again. "You are exactly what I expected, little Shadowsinger." Estelle's heart faltered. "Oh yes, I can see you. I can hear you." She inhaled deeply. "I can smell you. Your blood. Just think of the power I'd gain if I controlled you."

    Melantha laughed, and Estelle drew her blades, still hiding herself in the shadows. Magic hummed through her veins. "But I need you for a different purpose right now," Melantha said. "Come." She held out her hand. "Your dear friend Venelia misses you."

    Estelle narrowed her eyes, gritting her teeth with rage. "Don't make this difficult, Shadowsinger," Melantha huffed. "I have a schedule to keep to. Come along. I promise I don't bite. Much." Her crimson lips curled into a grotesque smile, revealing unnaturally sharp teeth.

    Mikael, where are you? Estelle hollered.

    "Fine. Have it your way." Melantha flicked a finger and the Illyrians surged towards Estelle.

    She dove through the shadows, reappearing beneath the horde. Estelle let her magic barrel into the undead warriors. It had no effect on them. They rounded on her again.

    Melantha clicked her tongue. "Have you forgotten how to kill the undead already, Girl? How disappointed Ze'ev must be. You really ought to thank him for what he's done for you."

    "Ze'ev has never done anything for me," Estelle growled. She summoned the shadows, vanishing and reappearing in time to stab Aesira through an Illyrian's heart. Instantly, the corpse fell from the sky, wholly dead once more.

    "On the contrary. He bought you time. He left you clues. He showed you how to kill the undead. He gave you a sliver of a chance at survival."

    "He wasn't helping me. He tried to kill me. He raped me and tortured my father."

    "Maybe, but he still helped you, unwittingly or not." Melantha tilted her head. "You living creatures amuse me. You could have saved yourself already, but you remain, despite knowing that you won't be able to save your friend." She gestured to Elain. "And don't think your group of reinforcements can help you."

    Estelle's head whipped towards Melantha in shock. "Yes, I knew about your plan," Melantha chuckled. "I know all of your plans. I knew every move you made since you began your investigation. I've seen it all."

    "How?" Estelle cried out as several warriors slammed into her. They drove her from the sky and pinned her onto the ground. Estelle writhed, even as they clamped a wooden collar around her neck.

    She felt the effects of it at once. It wasn't ordinary wood. It was ashwood, drenched in faebane. Estelle glared up at Melantha, refusing to show an ounce of fear. "Such a brave little warrior," Melantha crooned. "Your friends are trying to be brave too."

    "You didn't answer my question," Estelle spat.

    "Another time, perhaps. I'm ready to return home." Melantha's gaze slid past Estelle. "Ah, look who has arrived."