48. Ancient Ashes

Estelle's siphons glowed with power as she readied herself to face the oncoming corpses. Wynter and Mikael circled her, magic flickering between their fingers. Estelle heard a loud cry and someone came flying towards them.

    Nyx crashed into Mikael, knocking him to the ground. The corpses descended at once. Wynter and Estelle lunged, forcing them away from Nyx and Mikael. Estelle stabbed Alethea through the heart of one. Her gaze drifted to Melantha. The Witch still had her weapons. She bared her pointed teeth, hissing at Eris, Kallias, and Rhys.

    Estelle scanned the bloody mass, trying to find everyone she knew. Tarquin and Lucien were already with Elain, Cresseida, Evren, and the Mortal Queens. Larilis was with them too. Vassa, Feyre, and Viviane fought back to back against the corpses. Helion and Tamlin were with Ameer, defending an unconscious Thesan.

    Mikael appeared at her side. "We need to get out of here, or we'll be caught in the blast when Nesta wields the Cauldron."

    "We'll spread the word," Nyx promised. He pulled Estelle into a brief hug, pressing a light kiss to her temple. She smiled at her cousin and he sprinted away. Wynter darted off in the opposite direction.

    Estelle stuck close to Mikael as he began fighting his way towards his fathers. She let the shadows loose and they speared through the hearts of several corpses at once. She ripped apart a few more using her siphons. Golden light still poured from Mikael's skin and Lovis seemed to channel it. The blade was radiating with light as he drove it through the heart of one corpse and sliced through the neck of another.

    Our mate. Our equal, the shadows said. Estelle nearly wept with joy, hearing their voices again after so long.

    They cut through more undead and reached Ameer. Mikael dropped down beside Thesan, healing magic coating his hands. He leveled his palm over the injury on Thesan's head. Ameer gripped Estelle's shoulder firmly, a relieved smile crossing his lips.

    "We have to get out of here," Mikael said.

    "We'll start winnowing everyone to safety," Helion promised. Mikael drew back and Ameer lifted Thesan. Helion's gaze sought out Larilis before he winnowed and the three of them vanished. Tamlin disappeared next.

    Estelle helped Mikael to his feet and they began working their way back towards the others. Wynter, Eris, and Kallias were battling Melantha now. Estelle gripped Mikael's arm suddenly. Feyre was struggling to drag Nyx out of the way as Rhys fended off several corpses. Nyx's stomach was split open and gushing blood.

    "Shit," Mikael gasped. They began to run.

    Nyx's lips moved and he gripped Feyre's hand tightly. She shook her head, drawing a blade across her wrist. She held it towards him. Nyx relented and took a few mouthfuls of Feyre's blood. Estelle dropped to her knees beside him as he laid his head back. His breaths were shallow and strained.

    Mikael summoned his healing magic again, but hesitated, waiting for Feyre's own magic to begin working. Estelle touched Nyx's shoulder and he looked at her. Behind you, the shadows warned. She flared one hand back, spearing magic through the heart of a corpse.

    "Get him out of here," Estelle said, lifting her gaze to Feyre's.

    Mikael passed a hand across Nyx's wound. "That will speed up the healing process," he said. "Tell Nesta to be ready. Fire the Cauldron as soon as possible."

    Nyx nodded, his features pinched and pale. Feyre took Rhys' hand and Nyx's. A heartbeat later, they vanished. "Who all is left?" Estelle asked. Her stomach churned, but she willed herself not to throw up.