38. Fleeting Evidence

Mikael pulled on his set of black Illyrian leathers and sheathed both of his swords between his wings. Melantha was a fool if she thought they'd approach her unarmed. She was even more of a fool if she thought they would ever surrender to her. Two days had passed and everyone had gathered in the Dawn Court once more, angry and hellbent on finding the captives.

    Anger twisted in his stomach, sending magic and instincts crackling through his veins. Mikael couldn't stop seeing the blood on the letter. He couldn't stop scenting it. That was his mate's blood. Melantha had hurt her. She hurt Estelle.

    But at least he hadn't detected the sour note of sickness within her blood, unlike Venelia's scent. No one had noticed that until a few minutes after reading the letter. Venelia's scent had changed, meaning she hadn't lost the baby, but she was sick.

    The realization sent Nyx into a spiral of panic that only Rhysand had been able to snap him out of, several hours later. When they saw Rhysand finally leave Nyx's room, Lysander had said longingly, "Estelle could've calmed him down sooner." And Mikael knew it was true.

    He strode out of his room just as Nyx entered the hallway. They fell in step with each other, heading down the stairs. Neither of them said a word, but there was an...understanding, between them. One they'd come to shortly after reading the letter and alerting their fathers.

    They reached the foot of the stairs and continued into the Palace's grand foyer, where most of the others had already gathered. Each High Lord and Lady had brought someone along to reinforce them. Mikael was surprised to see Azriel and Seren accompanying Eris. Keitha stood at his other side. There was no sign of Castiel or Juliette, though Mikael knew they were in the Palace.

    Amren and Varian accompanied Tarquin. Cassian stood with Helion, Larilis, and Lucien. Nesta, Gwyn, and Emerie posed a formidable trio behind Feyre and Rhysand. Corbin and Lysander waited for Nyx to join them. Mor accompanied Kallias and Viviane, one arm linked through the High Lady's.

    It seemed that all lines between the Courts had been disregarded for the time being. Friends stood with friends, offering support and comfort. It was...nice. Briefly, Mikael wished they could be united like this more often, but for less dire reasons.

    Only Tamlin stood alone, unsurprisingly. His green eyes shimmered with anger and anxiety. He blatantly ignored Mikael and Nyx, and they ignored him too. Calden, Celeste, and Sienna stood behind Thesan and Ameer. They were there more for Mikael's benefit than his fathers'. He gave them a terse smile as he joined his fathers.

    Jurian, Vassa, and the other Mortal Queens were the last to descend the stairs. "Are Drakon and Miryam coming?" Vassa asked.

    "No," Feyre replied. "They're remaining on Cretea. We can't risk leaving the Cauldron and Dread Trove unguarded."

    "Do you think Melantha already knows about that? She's known all of our plans so far," Tarquin remarked.

    "We have no idea. That's why we're not taking any chances," Rhysand replied. "We should get going. The sooner we arrive, the sooner we'll know what Melantha's plan is."

    The High Lords, and those who could winnow, quickly grabbed ahold of those around them. Wind roared in Mikael's ears as the Palace faded away. When the wind quieted, he was standing on the cliff where Melantha had stolen Estelle and Elain.

    Cold wind buffeted them from all sides. Mikael fluffed his feathers. Umbra tightened around his arm. Thesan kept his hand on Mikael's shoulder, and Ameer gripped his other one. They were offering comfort, he knew, but they also meant to restrain him, should he try to attack Melantha when she arrived.