Chapter 3

After taking a shower, I walked back into the room and found a black dress on the bed. It was a simple but elegant one. I put it on and looked at myself in the mirror. The material hugged the natural curves of my body a little too much for me to feel entirely comfortable.

Rindou walked in without knocking first and stopped in his tracks when he saw me. I was still busy putting on the high heels I had found next to the bed.

He silently watched me, leaning his back against the wall. When I was done, I looked at him, catching his lavender eyes raking over my body.

I waited for him to say something but he just walked towards me and raised his hand to approach it from my face. Once again, I flinched and he stopped his movement.

For a second, he seemed to be fighting the urge to touch me before he finally pulled his hand away.

'We're late for dinner.'

I followed behind him as he walked out of the room and into what looked the living area of an expensive penthouse.

Are we even in Tokyo?

Looking through the window, I let out a short sigh of relief when I recognized the city I had lived in my whole life. 

We walked out of the apartment and headed to the elevator. When the door opened, he silently pushed himself to the side to let me step inside first. I felt his eyes on me as I walked past him.

Stuck between the four steel walls, I sneaked a sideway glance at Rindou, catching sight of a tattoo I hadn't noticed before on his neck.

I wonder if it hurts to get a tattoo there? I heard i'ts is a pretty sensitive area.

'What?' Rindou asked when he sensed my gaze on him. 

I quickly looked back in front of me. 'Nothing.'

Startling me, he grabbed my hand in his and brought it to his neck. Our eyes met as he placed the tip of my fingers against his tattoo. 'Is this what you were looking at?'

A warm blush crept up my neck. I pulled my hand away and looked down. 'I was just wondering if it hurt to get a tattoo there.'

'Worried about me already?'

I could hear the teasing smile in his voice.

'No.' I immediately replied. 

At that moment, the elevator door opened. Rindou stepped out first. I followed behind him as we walked through a long hallway and to a door guarded by two men dressed in black. I gulped hard when I saw the guns in their hands.

'Good evening, mister Haitani.' The two men bowed as a sign of respect. 

Rindou gave them a simple nod in response and waited for one of them to open the door. He placed a hand on the small of my back as we walked together inside the high-ceilinged dining room.

In the middle of it was a large marble table three people were already sitting at. Rindou gently pressed his hand against my back and I followed his silent order to walk to the table. 

I took the seat across from the only other girl present.

She looks my age and she's pretty , I noticed, but her grey eyes look so sad.

There was a darkening bruise on her left cheek that a thick layer of concealer had done a poor job at hiding.

She was sitting next to a man who had a mullet like Rindou. But his most noticeable feature was definitely the scars on both sides of the corner of his lips. 

At the end of the table sat a man with the same purple eyes and tattoo on his neck as Rindou. His short hair was gelled to the side. For some reason, the lazy grin on his lips caused an undescribable sensation to ripple through me.

Why do I feel like I've seen him before...

I shifted my gaze away from him right before he spoke up. 'You're late, brother.'

'Sorry Ran, I had things to take care of.' Rindou replied as he took the seat next to me.

'Is one of those 'things' you're talking about sitting next to you? 

The man who had just asked Rindou this question was the one with the scars on his mouth. I looked up at him but instantly regretted it. There was a gleam of something akin to insanity in his intense blue eyes. 

'Yeah. Let's just consider Mister Takahashi's debt cleared.'

When I heard my father's name, my thoughts wandered back to him. Even though he had selfishly decided to ''give'' me to Bonten in order to save himself, I couldn't help but wonder if he was okay.

-I should find one like her for myself, or do you mind sharing?

Surprinsingly, when Rindou placed his hand on my thigh under the table, I didn't flinch. His touch felt strangely reassuring in this context.

'You know I hate sharing what's mine, Sanzu.' 

At that moment, a few waiters walked in, each carrying a plate in their hands. 

Rindou grabbed the waiter's arm as he tried to place a plate with salmon in front of me. 'She's allergic to fish. Bring her something else.'

The waiter nodded and quickly left. I shot Rindou an interrogative look. 

How does he know this about me

Now that I think about it, he's also probably the one who picked the dress I'm wearing right now. How did he know my size?

My eyes slid from Rindou to his brother Ran who was still watching me with a mix of amusement and curiosity. 

This is going to be a long dinner...