Chapter 50

'What did you say?'

My pulse was racing as I let go of the doorknob. Slowly, I turned around to face Ran who stood a meter away from me.

'Ellie is the one who was blackmailing me.' He repeated, crushing the last bit of hope I had.  'She sneaked into my office back when we were still dating and took pictures of... incriminating documents. She was threatening me to go tell the police what she found out if I didn't agree to get married to her. I thought she was bluffing at first, but then she showed me the proofs she had collected. She had dirt on everyone. Me, Rindou, Sanzu, Mikey, Kokonoi...'

It's not that I couldn't believe what he was saying, it's that I didn't want to. 

I'd always imagined Ran and Ellie's marriage was filled with love and respect. It had been nothing but smoke and mirrors all along.

'She also found out that you and I dated.' He added.

My stomach twisted into a knot as the realization set in.

That means that each time she was talking to me about her relationship with Ran, when she asked me to be a bridesmaid for her wedding, and when she invited me tonight... she knew. She knew it hurt me but she still did it.

It took me a few seconds to swallow the growing anger so I could form a coherent sentence.

'Who else knows about this?'

'Only you. Rindou still believes our mother is the one blackmailing us.'

A intense feeling of guilt flooded me. Ran had been dealing with this on his own for more than a year, and I hadn't seen anything. 

'Why didn't you say something to Rindou or Sanzu or-'

'Because I know how they would have dealt with it.' Ran interrupted me. A chill shiver ran down my spine before the following words even came out of his mouth. 'They kill everyone who gets in their way, and whether I hate Ellie or not, she's still carrying my child.'

'I don't understand why you slept with her if you hate her.'

'She made me sign a contract stipulating that we can't get a divorce and that I have to give her a child, but we didn't have sex.'

I must have looked doubtful because he explained further.  'It was done through insemination.'

For some illogical reason, part of me felt relieved to know that Ran hadn't had sex with Ellie to conceive their child. The other part of me, the more rational one, was already imagining the worst for this child's future. Between a crazy mother who was willing to go to such lengths to get what she wanted and a dad who was forced into marriage, this was a recipe for a disastrous childhood.

Ran continued. 'I thought that if I honoured our contract, her blackmailing would stop, but now she wants Rindou to get married too.'

'Why?'

He closed the distance between us and lowered his head toward mine, bridging the inches he towered over me. His eyes paced from my eyes to my lips as he answered. 'Because of you.'

Me?

The sound of footsteps coming from the hallway and getting closer to Ran's office jarred us both out of our daze. He took my hand and quickly led me further into the room. 'Hide there.' He ordered, gesturing to the spot right behind his large oak desk. I did as he said and crouched down while he walked back to the front of his office. I couldn't see him anymore but I imagined he had just sunk down on the small leather in the corner of the room.

I heard the door open and close a second later.

'What are you still doing here? I told you people would ask questions if you didn't show up. You have to come talk to our guests, Ran.'