Chapter 39

Using the spare key Ran had given me, I quietly entered his apartment in the hope of surprising him. But to my disappointment, I quickly realized he wasn't there. His office was the last place I checked. I had never actually set foot in that room of his apartment before; there were probably a lot of confidential things I wasn't allowed to see. A framed picture on his large oak desk caught my attention and I picked it up in my hands. 

It was a picture of Ran and Rindou when they were younger. Ran's hair was long and styled into two pig braids. He was flashing his signature lazy smile at the camera, the same smile I had always found so attractive. Instead of the tailored suit I was used to seeing him in, he wore a gray sweatshirt and a pair of black jeans. His arm was wrapped around Rindou who looked a lot different than he did now. His hair was blonde with blue streaks throughout and he was wearing a pair of glasses. He was definitely the one who had changed the most out of the two brothers. But despite the fact that this picture had probably been taken more than 10 years ago, they both hadn't aged a day.

Within the short period of time I had spent with them, Ran and Rindou had become the parts of my life I wished I didn't need, although I now had to love Rindou as certain dangerously tempting things are to be loved, from a distance.

A loud knock at the front door of the apartment startled me. 

It can't be Ran. He wouldn't have knocked before entering his own apartment, I thought as I put the framed picture back on the desk before walking out of Ran's office. 

Two women were standing in the hallway when I opened the door. One of them looked like she was about 55 years old. Her lavender eyes seemed strangely familiar. The way she carried herself and the luxury purse in her hands showed she was a wealthy person. The other woman looked a little older and had gray hair. She was dressed very modestly and had kind eyes. The fact that she was standing a few steps behind indicated that she was the other woman's subordinate.

'Hi, can I help you?'

The first woman disdainfully eyed me from head to toe before answering. 'I came here to see Ran.'

'He's not here right now but he'll probably be back soon.'

'Are you the maid?' She asked, cocking an eyebrow.

'No, I'm Ran's girlfriend. And you are?'

'I'm Akari Haitani, Ran's mother.'

Oh boy...

-------------------------------------------------------

The three of us were sitting on Ran's couch while we waited for him to come back. What was even worse than the awkward silence that had settled over us was the fact that I was still practically naked under my fur coat.

Maybe I should find an excuse to go to Ran's bedroom and put some clothes on-

'What did you say your name was?'

Akari's frigid voice tore through my internal monologue like a silver bullet. But I was relieved that she was finally talking to me after my attempts at sparking up a conversation with her had miserably failed.

'Y/N.'

'And your last name?'

'L/N.'

'Is Enji L/N part of your family?'

Her cold violet gaze ever so subtly warmed as she thought about the wealthy japanese oil magnate. 

My answer was going to disappoint her... 'No, I have no connection to that family.'