Chapter 6

The first week I spent with Rindou went by pretty fast. He was always gone doing god knows what and often came back late at night when I was already asleep. So most of the time, I was alone in the big penthouse with nothing to do, nowhere to go and no one to talk to. 

One afternoon where I was taking a nap on the couch, I awoke to the feeling of a hand caressing my face. My eyes snapped open, immediately meeting the purple eyes of Ran who was kneeling in front of me.

I quickly sat up.

'I didn't mean to scare you.' His deep voice cut through the silence. 

'It's okay.' I shifted under his steady gaze before sneaking a quick glance at the clock on the wall. 'If you're looking for Rindo, he won't be back before 7 pm.'

'I didn't come here to see my brother.' Ran stood back up. 'Come with me.'

I knew I had to follow Rindou's orders but I wasn't sure about his brother's. Nevertheless, I pulled the blanket off of me and got up from the couch. 

Ran's eyes dropped to the pair of pajama shorts I was wearing. 'You should put something on first.'

'Oh, right...'

Heat quickly rose to my face. I started walking to my bedroom but Ran grabbed my arm to stop me.

'Here.' He took off his suit jacket and draped it over my shoulders. It reached my mid-thigh and smelt of his expensive cologne.

'Thank you.'

We walked together out of the penthouse and to the elevator. 

'Where are we going?'

'My appartment.'

That's right... I forgot he lives on the floor right under us.

In the elevator, a memory of the way Ran had touched me last time crossed my mind. I decided to stay on my guard just in case.

When we walked inside his apartment, I looked around, immediately noticing how pretty similar it was to Rindo's. Ran led me to a white leather sofa. 

'Want something to drink?' He asked me as I sat down.

'Sure.'

He left and came back with a glass of iced tea.

My favorite...

'Thank you.'

Ran spread his legs and rested one of his arms on the back of the couch. 'How has my brother been treating you?'

'He's treating me well.'

This wasn't a lie. After having seen Naomi's bruised face, I considered myself lucky that Rindou wasn't abusive.

'What do you do during the day?'

'There's not really much to do.'

My heart sank as I thought about my studies I wasn't able to attend and my friends from university I couldn't talk to anymore.

'Do you like to read?' Ran asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

'Yeah, I love to.'

'Follow me.' He ordered before standing up. 

He led me to another room of his apartment and pushed the door open, revealing one of the biggest home libraries I had ever seen. My mouth hung slightly open as my eyes wandered around. 

I looked back at Ran who had been observing my reaction, a gleam in his lavender eyes. 'Can I-'

'Go ahead.'

He didn't need to tell me twice. I read the titles of the books that were at eye level.

Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata,  The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu, Pride Prejudice by Jane Austen, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte... All classics of english and japanese literature.

Those were my favorite books.

What a coincidence...

'They all look brand new. Have you never read them?' I asked Ran, shooting him a look over my shoulder before looking at the books in front of me again.

'Nah, I don't really like reading that much.'

'Then why do you have all those books?'

'I bought them in case the person I wanted to live with liked to read.'

I was so focused on the books in front of me that I didn't hear Ran approach me from behind. But when the tip of his nose brushed against the back of my neck, I whipped around. His face was only inches away from mine and my heart skipped a beat.

'It's weird but... I feel like we've met before.'

'We have.' Ran instantlty answered. I was about to ask him more questions when he sneaked a glance at his watch. 'You should go before Rindou comes back. But take one book with you.'

'Are you sure?'

When he nodded, I turned around and picked ''Pride and Prejudice'' before following him out of the room.

He walked me to the elevator.  'It's better if you don't tell Rindou you were here, he can get a little... possessive. Let this be our little secret.'