Chapter 38

Rindou let out a long sigh as we walked out of the university building together. 'It was so fucking boring.'

'Are you kidding? That was one of the most interesting lessons I've ever had! Did you hear the part where he talked about the harmless genetic variations in the DNA sequences that make up the gene-' I stopped and apologized to Rindou when I realized I had started rambling. 'Sorry.'

He was busy staring at me, a small smile playing on his lips.

'What?' I asked, feeling self-conscious under his steady gaze.

'Nothing.' He looked back in front of him but the smile didn't leave his face. 

I found myself stealing glances at his side-profile and admiring his features just like I had discreetly done during class. I apparently wasn't the only one susceptible to his charms ; The other girls around us wouldn't stop staring at Rindou and whisper things about him to their friends.

Can't really blame them...

'What are you doing?' Rindou asked me when I stopped in front of a foodtruck we were walking past.

'I'm gonna buy something to eat.'

'There?'

The poorly concealed twinge of disgust in his voice caused me to roll my eyes.

'Not everything needs to come from a five star restaurant to taste good you know. Just trust me, you'll like it.'

'Alright...' Rindou complied but still looked unconvinced.

I ended up buying two chicken burritos for us. We entered the park located right next to my university campus and sat on a bench to eat. 

I intently studied Rindou's face for a reaction as he took a first bite. 'So?'

'It's alright I guess.'

His indifferent answer couldn't fool me.

'Come on, I know you love it. You always do that thing when you like what you're eating.'

'What thing?'

'I don't know, it's like all the tension leaves your face and a smile tugs at your lips. I can even see your dimple right now.' I noticed, grazing his left dimple with the tip of my index finger. 

Rindou's eyes slightly widened at the touch and I immediately pulled my hand away, worried I had just crossed a line. I was about to apologize to him when a man with a camera approached us. He worked as a photographer in the park.

'Do you want me to take a picture of you two?' He asked Rindou and I, assuming we were a couple.

'Oh, we're not-'

'Yes, take our picture.' Rindou interrupted me before I could correct the man.

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. But weirdly, our sudden proximity wasn't that uncomfortable. It felt warm, familiar. 

'Relax. It's just a picture, love.'

I could almost hear the smirk in his voice as he whispered in my ear.

His arm tighetened around me while the photographer took a few pictures of us. The man handed us his card when he was done.

'Some couples don't seem like a good match, but you two do.' He said before giving us a wave and walking away.

I knew his comment would linger in both Rindou's mind and mine for a while. 

---------------------------------------------------------

I looked at myself in the mirror of my bedroom, appreciating the way the matching set of burgundy underwear flattered my figure.

I hope Ran will like it...

Because I had forgotten about our one month anniversary, I wanted to make it up to him. So I had decided to skip my afternoon classes to go pay my boyfriend a surprise visit at his apartment.

I put on the long fur coat Ran had bought for me a few days ago, wearing nothing but my underwear underneath, and left my apartment. I was busy tightening the belt around my coat as I walked out of my building when I caught sight of Rindou who was leaning his back against his black Ferrari. He had driven me back to my apartment after our lunch about an hour ago so I wasn't expecting him to still be there.

'Rindou? I thought you went home? '

Instead of answering my question, his eyes ran up and down my body, taking in my makeup, long coat and high heels. 

'Where are you going dressed like that?'

The paranoid voice in my head was telling me that he somehow knew I wasn't wearing any clothes underneath and I instinctively wrapped my arms around myself. But what made me feel even more uncomfortable was to have to tell him I was on my way to go see his brother. 

Rindou read my embarassed expression and let out a sigh. 'You're going to see Ran, aren't you?'

I nodded in response, unable to look him in the eyes.

'Get in.' He ordered, opening the car door for me.

'Are you sure?'

'Don't make me ask twice.'

I avoided making eye contact as I finally obeyed him and got in his car. Rindou closed the door behind me before getting in the driver's seat and driving off. His muscles flexed under the sleeves of his black turtleneck each time he turned the stirring wheel.

'Open the glove compartment.' He ordered me while still keeping his eyes on the road in front of him. 

I did as asked and opened the glove compartment, revealing the picture that was in it. I delicately picked it up in my hands to take a look at it. It was the picture the photographer had taken of me and Rindou in the park earlier today. 

That man was right : we really do look like a couple there.

'You bought it?' I asked, looking back up at Rindou who sneaked a quick glance at my face.

'Of course I did.'

I looked back down at the picture in my hands. The grin I flashed at the camera looked genuine. Even Rindou, who always had a neutral expression on every picture I had ever seen of him, was sporting a small smile.

'Can I ask you a question?' He spoke, making me shift my gaze away from the picture to look at him.

'Sure.'

'Would we still be together if you hadn't seen Gina kiss me?'

My heart skipped a beat. 

I had asked myself this same question countless times before although I preferred not to dwell on it too long for fear of coming to a conclusion I wouldn't have liked. But I owed Rindou an honest answer.

'Probably.' I finally replied.

His hands tightened around the stirring wheel, maybe out of anger against Gina but maybe also out of anger against himself for letting this happen to him... to us. 

I wanted to tell him that it was all in the past, that I was with Ran now and that he made me really happy. But before I could, the faintest traces of hope danced in Rindou's violet eyes as if he had somehow found comfort in my answer.

As if he hadn't lost hope we would some day get back together...